You’re invited to a socially-distanced outdoor Land Social at Shelter Farm in Port Alberni, B.C.! If you’re curious about what land matching and sharing is all about – or just want to check out what your local farmers and farm interns are up to – join us for the event.
Shelter Farm hosts Shelter Farm Training Institute, which provides formal Market Gardening training to farm interns. This training is delivered through a combination of in-class learning at North Island College and hands on experiential training at Shelter Farm using the latest production methods and tools available to Market Gardeners. Graduates of the program are equipped with knowledge to start their own farms, perhaps on leased land through the B.C. Land Matching Program!
We’ll tour the farm, network, and look at the steps to building a successful land sharing relationship. Your regional Land Matcher will share information about how the B.C. Land Matching Program can help you find the perfect farmer for your land – or farmland where you can build your dream farm business. If you are interested in starting a farm business, but need to learn more about market gardening before accessing land, come find out about the excellent learning opportunity available at Shelter Farm!
Land Socials connect farmers and farmland holders, and set them up to receive ongoing support through the B.C. Land Matching Program. Both farmers seeking land and farmland holders thinking about sharing land are encouraged to attend – as well as anyone who loves food, farming, and getting out onto the land.
DATE: Sunday, September 19, 2021 • 2-5pm
LOCATION: Hupacasath and Tseshaht Territory. 725 Franklin River Road, Port Alberni, BC.
REGISTER: Due to COVID-19, we require registration for our events so we can limit the number of attendees to allow for physical distancing. PLEASE REGISTER HERE to reserve your spot.
SCHEDULE (times are approximate):
2-3 Farm Tour
3-4 Introduction circle & B.C. Land Matching Program Overview
4-5 Refreshments & Networking
BRING: Please bring a chair or blanket to sit on. Refreshments will be primarily vegetarian and vegan and will be prepared by a chef friend of the farm, using fresh farm ingredients! If you’d prefer you can bring your own meal instead. There will not be any wash stations for dishes available. Optional: face mask.
- Please stay home if you have cold or flu-like symptoms, OR if you’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19 and are completing a period of self-isolation as mandated by public health, OR if you have had contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case in the past 14 days. Refer to the BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool for more information.
- We welcome cancellations at any time – you can do so through Eventbrite, through the link in your registration confirmation email, or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. Please let us know if you aren’t able to attend so we can open up a spot to someone else.
- Please follow physical distancing guidelines and keep 6 feet apart from other people. No handshakes or hugs please!
- Masks are not required, but bring one to wear if you’d like.
- We will have a hand sanitizer station for your use throughout the event. Please refrain from touching tools, pets and livestock, and door handles etc. on the farm.
- If provincial health guidelines for events change, we may cancel the event and you will be notified by email.
- This event is free and open to everyone! Children are welcome but please leave furry friends at home.
- Join our Young Agrarians Vancouver Island Facebook Group to stay up to date with all events.
- Sign up for our e-newsletter to get events and opportunities for your region delivered straight to your inbox.
SHARE: Planning on joining us? Invite your friends and share the Facebook event! (Link coming soon)
ABOUT SHELTER FARM
Just 10 minutes from Port Alberni on 172 acres is Shelter Farm, a social enterprise operated by The Port Alberni Shelter Society (PASS). The farm grows vegetables that provide a source of nutrition for our clients and are sold at markets and local restaurants to help generate income to support our shelter and programs. Shelter Farm is also home to the “Market Gardener Training Program”. This program is a partnership between the Port Alberni Shelter Society and North Island College. Students learn about crop management, develop skills in irrigation, weeding, integrated pest management and disease control. Students also develop skills in business management, budgeting and marketing.
Check out SHELTER FARM online:
UPCOMING VANCOUVER ISLAND EVENTS
Not able to join us for this event? Fear not! Here’s a quick look at the dates and places we’ll be visiting this season.
AUGUST 8, 2021
AFFINITY GUESTHOUSE AND WILD STYLE FARMS, DUNCAN
SEPTEMBER 12, 2021
DIGABLE ROOTS, DUNCAN
GOT LAND? WANT LAND?
Through the B.C. Land Matching Program, Young Agrarians offers support to farmers looking for land for their farm business, and landholders looking for farmers to farm their land. We’ve made more than 146 matches on over 6,000 acres to date! The Vancouver Island Land Matcher will be attending the event to answer any questions the B.C. Land Matching Program. For those unable to join us, you can send a message to email@example.com for more information.
The B.C. Land Matching Program is funded on Vancouver Island by the Province of British Columbia, with support from Cowichan Valley Regional District and Patagonia.