You’re invited to a socially-distanced outdoor Land Social at Affinity Guesthouse and Wild Style Farms in Duncan, B.C.! If you’re curious about what land matching and sharing is all about – or just want to check out what your local farmers are up to – join us for the event.
Be inspired and learn about the incredible farming that can be done on leased land! Ashley and Carla are Wild Style Farms, growing flowers and vegetables on 2 acres of leased land at Affinity Guesthouse in Cowichan Bay. The guesthouse land has been farmed for years by various farm operations, and most recently is home to the soon-to-be-launched Affinity Cider House. One acre of flat land with full exposure, in the floodplain of the Cowichan River, is currently available for lease to another farming operation as well.
Leasing farmers Ashley and Carla paired up with the goal of farming together in the early winter of 2020 and soon connected with the opportunity at Affinity, receiving support from the B.C. Land Matching Program in developing a lease agreement. They are now in the depths of their first season, growing a beautiful offering of flowers and food available for sale through Cowichan’s online farmers’ market, the Cow-Op, and at the farm stand on the property.
We’ll tour the farm, network, and look at the steps to building a successful land sharing relationship. Your regional Land Matcher will share information about how the B.C. Land Matching Program can help you find the perfect farmer for your land – or farmland where you can build your dream farm business.
Land Socials connect farmers and farmland holders, and set them up to receive ongoing support through the B.C. Land Matching Program. Both farmers seeking land and farmland holders thinking about sharing land are encouraged to attend – as well as anyone who loves food, farming, and getting out onto the land.
DATE: Sunday, August 8, 2021 • 12-3pm
LOCATION: Quw’utsun Territory. 5515 Samuel Road, Duncan, BC.
REGISTER: Due to COVID-19, we require registration for our events so we can limit the number of attendees to allow for physical distancing. PLEASE REGISTER HERE to reserve your spot.
SCHEDULE (times are approximate):
12-1 Farm Tour
1-2 Introduction circle & B.C. Land Matching Program Overview
2-3 Lunch & Networking
BRING: Please bring a chair or blanket to sit on. A catered lunch will be provided with vegetarian and vegan options, but if you’d prefer you can bring your own meal instead. There will not be any wash stations for dishes available. Optional: face mask.
- Please stay home if you have cold or flu-like symptoms, OR if you’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19 and are completing a period of self-isolation as mandated by public health, OR if you have had contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case in the past 14 days. Refer to the BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool for more information.
- We welcome cancellations at any time – you can do so through Eventbrite, through the link in your registration confirmation email, or by contacting email@example.com. Please let us know if you aren’t able to attend so we can open up a spot to someone else.
- Please follow physical distancing guidelines and keep 6 feet apart from other people. No handshakes or hugs please!
- Masks are not required, but bring one to wear if you’d like.
- We will have a hand sanitizer station for your use throughout the event. Please refrain from touching tools, pets and livestock, and door handles etc. on the farm.
- If provincial health guidelines for events change, we may cancel the event and you will be notified by email.
- Lunch will have vegetarian and vegan options and will be provided by a local business.
- This event is free and open to everyone! Children are welcome but please leave furry friends at home.
- Please turn to the right when you come in the driveway and park in the parking lot in front of the cidery.
- There may be a lot of mosquitos about due to the ponds on site and adjacent estuary! It is recommended to bring insect repellant and/or clothing to keep them at bay.
- Join our Young Agrarians Vancouver Island Facebook Group to stay up to date with all events.
- Sign up for our e-newsletter to get events and opportunities for your region delivered straight to your inbox.
SHARE: Planning on joining us? Invite your friends and share the Facebook event! (Link coming soon)
ABOUT WILD STYLE FARMS
Wild Style Farms is a flower and veggie farm that is run in community with nature by two friends, Ashley MacLeod and Carla Turner. The Farm is located on ALR land in the Cowichan Valley near Cowichan Bay. We utilize sustainable farming practices that are both organic (non-certified) and have a low-ecosystem impact – we are a values based farm that cares about the preservation of pollinators and the natural diversity of the land. We want to share our passion for growing with the local community by offering beautiful flowers that inspire joy and local produce that nourishes the body and soul.
We focus on growing pollinator friendly blooms and reserve areas of our farm as forage and sanctuary for honey bees, native bees and other pollinators. We grow many specialty varieties of flowers and offer fresh cut bouquets from Spring through Fall and dried arrangements/wreaths in the Winter.
We are growing a variety of “specialty” and heirloom vegetables as well as the usual staples. Like our flowers, our veggies are grown using organic and sustainable practices. What we are growing is ever-changing throughout the season so be sure to check in weekly for access to some wonderful, delicious and exciting produce.
We utilize sustainable, low-eco impact practices, free of pesticides and insecticides.
We are a small farm that aims to contribute to the local community.
We are values based farm – protecting pollinators and the natural diversity of the land.
We grow high-quality, crops that follow Canada’s Best Agricultural Practices.
Check out WILD STYLE FARMS online:
ABOUT AFFINITY GUESTHOUSE
Affinity is part of the Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR) and was initially an asparagus farm many, many years ago. For over 50 years, there was no agricultural activity on the site. That has now changed. For the last six years, we have been steadily improving the agriculture production with approximately 4 acres now being actively ecologically farmed.
Over the last two years the production has steadily increased and in addition to blueberries and significantly wild blackberries, there are now many raised beds, and extension of the existing box garden and the many fruit trees on the property are being managed to increase productivity.
As the farming matures, we will be looking at using the production to support a number of value added products including the creation of the new and upcoming Affinity Cider House.
Check out AFFINITY GUESTHOUSE online:
UPCOMING VANCOUVER ISLAND EVENTS
Not able to join us for this event? Fear not! Here’s a quick look at the dates and places we’ll be visiting this season.
SEPTEMBER 12, 2021
DIGABLE ROOTS, DUNCAN (info coming soon!)
SEPTEMBER 19, 2021
SHELTER FARM, PORT ALBERNI
GOT LAND? WANT LAND?
Through the B.C. Land Matching Program, Young Agrarians offers support to farmers looking for land for their farm business, and landholders looking for farmers to farm their land. We’ve made more than 146 matches on over 6,000 acres to date! The Vancouver Island Land Matcher will be attending the event to answer any questions the B.C. Land Matching Program. For those unable to join us, you can send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The B.C. Land Matching Program is funded on Vancouver Island by the Province of British Columbia, with support from Patagonia.