The Sharing Farm in Richmond, BC is seeking event interns for the 2019 season!
ABOUT The Sharing Farm
The Sharing Farm is a not-for-profit community organization that grows organic vegetables on donated city lands for the Richmond Food Bank and other community agencies. We are looking for enthusiastic, hard- working farm events interns for May-August 2019. The Sharing Farm is a unique community farm combining the practice of organic farming set within a framework of food justice and food security in the region. The four-acre farm is situated within Richmond’s Terra Nova Rural Park, located at the west end of Westminster Highway, alongside the West Dyke, in Richmond BC. It is accessible by bus, skytrain, car, or bicycle. Interns will have access to many different skill sets, including event planning and coordination, marketing and communications, and social media for a not-for-profit organization. For more information about the Sharing Farm please visit www.sharingfarm.ca
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with field preparation, field maintenance, crop development, crop harvest, and post-harvest handling
- Keep field records
- Lead and supervise volunteers
- Assist with educational programs, tours, special events and fund-raising activities
- Assist with the transportation and distribution of vegetables
- Keep farm and storage areas organized and tidy
- Assist running a CSA program
- Report to the Field Manager
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS (Service Canada):
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Be self-motivated, flexible, willing to take initiative, work well independently and in a team environment
- Be physically fit and enjoy working outside in all kinds of weather
- Be available on weekends (all Saturdays, occasional Sundays) and a few evenings in July and August
- Proven ability in working effectively with volunteers and/or co- workers
- Strong record-keeping ability
- Ability to operate and maintain tools and equipment
- (desirable) Valid driver’s license
- (desirable) Have farming or gardening experience
- The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in organic farming and/ or food security.
Salary:$15 per hour 30-35 hour work week, must be available weekends.
Term: Approx. 8 -16 weeks depending on final HRDC Canada Summer Jobs approval of grant application.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as we will begin interviewing in early April.
Application deadline: April 14, 2019 Please submit resume and a cover letter to: Assistant Director: Leslie Williams email@example.com
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at Youngagrarians.org.
Field work not your thing? We are also hiring two events interns….
Learn more about The Sharing Farm
View other farm jobs and apprenticeships here.