The Sharing Farm in Richmond, BC is seeking event interns for the 2019 season!
ABOUT The Sharing Farm
The Sharing Farm is a not-for-profit community organization that grows organic vegetables on donated city lands for the Richmond Food Bank and other community agencies. We are looking for enthusiastic, hard- working farm events interns for May-August 2019. The Sharing Farm is a unique community farm combining the practice of organic farming set within a framework of food justice and food security in the region. The four-acre farm is situated within Richmond’s Terra Nova Rural Park, located at the west end of Westminster Highway, alongside the West Dyke, in Richmond BC. It is accessible by bus, skytrain, car, or bicycle. Interns will have access to many different skill sets, including event planning and coordination, marketing and communications, and social media for a not-for-profit organization. For more information about the Sharing Farm please visit www.sharingfarm.ca
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist Executive Director with all aspects of annual Garlic Fest event preparation and implementation
- Supervise and organize volunteers from a wide range of backgrounds and abilities
- Manage online presence in terms of social media, blog posts, newsletters, text and images, website and other venues
- Assist with educational programs, tours, and fund-raising activities
- Report to the Executive Director
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS (Service Canada):
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Be self-motivated, flexible, willing to take initiative and lead others, work well independently and in a team environment
- Have excellent computer, communication and organization skills — Be available the weekend of August 17/18, 2019, and at least one evening a week in July and August
- Proven ability in working effectively with volunteers and/or co- workers
- (desirable) Foodsafe Certified
- (desirable) Valid driver’s license
- (desirable) Photographer
- (desirable) Have experience with social media, marketing, and event planning, and familiarity with not-for-profit organizations and issues of food security
- The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in organic farming/ food security and/or non-profit organizations
Salary: $15 per hour 30-35 hour work week.
Term: Approx. 8 -16 weeks depending on final HRDC Canada Summer Jobs approval of grant application.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as we will begin interviewing in early April.
Application deadline: April 14, 2019 Please submit resume and a cover letter to: Assistant Director: Leslie Williams email@example.com
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at Youngagrarians.org.
Want to be outside? We’re also hiring Farm interns….
Learn more about The Sharing Farm
View other farm jobs and apprenticeships here.