It’s here! We are very excited to release the Young Agrarians B.C. Transition Toolkit for Non-Family Farm Transfer. It’s a resource kit for anyone curious about – or neck-deep in – alternative ways to transition land and farms from one generation to the next.
Accessing land for farming can be challenging to say the least. Over the last seven years that we’ve been offering land access support, we’ve heard stories from seasoned farmers struggling to see a way to pass their farm on to the next generation, and from the next generation struggling to find a way into agriculture. Fortunately we’ve also seen many creative approaches to solving the challenge of land access and farm transition. Our goal is to support the community with the information and inspiration they need to dig into non-family transition and develop plans that transfer lands, farm businesses and knowledge between generations.
The Transition Toolkit is a framework for understanding non-family transition – it contains concepts, considerations and tools to apply to your own alternative farm transition through a six-stage process, from setting your vision, to identifying models and assessing feasibility, to identifying what resources you need – plus real-world examples of farmers who are making the transition happen in a very complex regulatory environment.
What’s inside the Transition Toolkit:
- Models to transition the farm to the next generation, focusing on non-family transition
- Case stories to illustrate each model
- Financial, legal, and regulatory considerations
- Information about finding successors, interim planning, transitioning direct market customer bases, and more
- Worksheets to support your transition planning process, both from existing sources and developed / adapted with non-family transition and diversified farms in mind
- Legacy letters from current farmers
- Resources and referrals
The goal is for you to be able to:
- Learn about different models of non-family transition, and how to assess which models may be possible for you
- Understand what legal, regulatory, and social considerations exist
- Assess and document your vision, needs and next steps using the worksheets provided
- Develop a transition team through the resources and referrals provided
- Get inspired!