Young Agrarians BC Land Access Guide, Lease & Licence Templates

Posted by Sara Dent on February 05, 2014 15 Comments

Young Agrarians Land Access Guide 3.0

This guide is for beginning farmers wanting to pursue farming and find land. The guide shares the stories of a handful of young and new BC farmers and how they have accessed land. It has a checklist for assessing land for agricultural suitability, a breakdown of different types of land access arrangements, and a list of questions for when negotiating an arrangement with a land owner.

Click here to download the Young Agrarians BC Land Access Guide:  Land Access Guide 3.0

Linking Land and Farmers and Young Agrarians adapted lease and licence templates from FarmFolk CityFolk Society and The Land Conservancy of British Columbia “A Guide to Farmland Access Agreements”. We have updated the legal language and put in a plain English side-bar to support the user to understand how to work with the template.

Click here to download the Lease Template:  Lease

Click here to download the Licence Template:  License

Let us know if you have any questions or feedback!

If you are looking for land to farm, or you have land you’d like to lease to a farmer, please check out our B.C. Land Matching Program and reach out to


15 thoughts on “Young Agrarians BC Land Access Guide, Lease & Licence Templates

  1. I know a man in Merville (Comox Valley) who wants his farmland to be used. I don’t think he uses computers, but I will find a phone contact for him. How should I go about getting him added to the land-lease list?



  2. I’m about to leave a tenant farming situation in Kelowna and the landlord would like to find a new tenant here. (wants me to find a suitable replacement) Contact me and I’ll hook you up with them.

    1. Hello there! I know this is an old post, but we’re looking around the Kelowna area just to meet people and make connections to get started on finding a place we can live and farm. If you could shoot me a line and maybe start a conversation, I’d love to hear from you! All the best; -Jaren.

    2. Hello Peggy,

      I am so sorry to ask, but having the following information is a big help to me, before calling you. Would you please answer the following questions::

      1) Size of land (Area, W and L)
      2) Address of Land
      3) If Yearly or monthly rent, is fixed payment , how much is it?
      4) If yearly or monthly rent is part of production and sales, how much is it?
      5) Extra cost which is part of rent/lease?
      6) minimum lease period?
      7) What is the current product of land?
      8) Does land have any water-well or using creek,…?
      9) Any home on the land, which can be used by farmer?
      10) Any utility ( Electricity, Internet, phone, ….)
      11) Slope of Land and Direction of land. Does the land face south or


      1. Hi Shahriar, Thanks for your interest – just a note that the comment you are replying to is from 2015. If you are seeking land, please look at the Land Listings on our UMAP ( or at our land tools page and land blog (

  3. My partner and I have an 8 acre parcel with about four acres of very old apple trees in North Glenmore, which is in the northern part of Kelowna. We are interested in leasing about four acres on a three to five year lease with the option for ongoing renewal.

    The property is serviced by Glenmore Ellison water. It is inside 10km from downtown Kelowna. Almost all of the land is sloped and air drains well. The soil is Glenmore clay. It has excellent water holding, but can be hard to work when very wet or when very dry. The other half of the property will host 2-4 horses. Am open to some form of rotation, where green manure and horse manure can complement each other.

    We live on the adjacent property, and have a two bedroom legal basement suite. It is presently (May 2016) unoccupied. We are open to leasing that as well, if being near the land would be more conducive to farming it.

    I can be contacted at

    1. Hi Akonyu, Primarily, a lease grants the lessee “exclusive possession of the lands”, while a licence grants more limited permission of use. The Land Access Guide has more detailed information about lease vs licence.

  4. Hi there, I want to rent a small portion from a farm to build a small green house for micro-greens business in Richmond or Surrey or Burnaby or somewhere else in Greater of Vancouver, the closer to Richmond the better. Please text me at 1-250-879-2262

    1. Hi Vivian,

      Thanks for your comment. I’ve let our Metro Vancouver Land Matchers know to contact you.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *