Young Agrarians is seeking to hire an Apprenticeship Program Administrator and Saskatchewan Coordinator. Do you thrive working with people from diverse walks of life? Are you a person that loves to help others learn and grow? Would you consider yourself a computer-savvy person who loves checking things off of the to-do list? If you have this magic mix of skills then we would love to hear from you.
Region & Scope: Saskatchewan & Prairies, Full-Time Contract Position for a Saskatchewan-based candidate.
Deadline for Applications: 12pm Monday, November 8, 2021. This position will start when we find the right candidate.
ABOUT YOUNG AGRARIANS
A Canadian Charity, the mission of Agrarians Foundation is to educate the public by providing courses, seminars, workshops, and counselling about agriculture, farming, food processing, entrepreneurship, community economic development and environmental sustainability. It’s Grow-a-Farmer strategy Young Agrarians (YA) is a farmer2farmer educational resource network that delivers programs year round to increase the number of new, viable and ecological farmers and farms in Canada. Young Agrarians began January 2012 as a seed of an idea, and has grown into a dynamic set of programs:
- National aggregation of resources and opportunities online
- National educational and networking events on and off farms
- Prairies apprenticeship training program in regenerative agriculture
- B.C. Business Mentorship Network
- B.C. Land Matching Program
YA’s program frameworks engage new, young and potential farmers online, bring them together to network and learn together on and off farms, and, when ready, support access to training, land, business readiness and production mentorship.
YA is growing its YA Prairies Apprenticeship Program. Our apprenticeships are a full immersion program that puts aspiring farmers into the heart of running a regenerative farm business. We work with carefully selected farm mentors who have diverse expertise and farm philosophies guided by a holistic framework that recognizes the connectedness of the land and people. Mentors must apply to the program and successful applicants receive help from YA in finding and selecting their apprentice.
YA advertises apprenticeship positions and facilitates the application process. Successful apprentice applicants live and work on the farm for 4 – 8 months. They learn about regenerative farming practices including care of soil, pasture and livestock management, farm direct marketing, and using sustainable practices for cereal, grain, and vegetable production. On-farm learning is enhanced through farm tours, workshops, and webinars.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diverse communities we collaborate with and serve. The organizational culture is focused on bringing your whole self, and working together to support farmers to overcome barriers and challenges at the grassroots and institutional levels.
This role will require an individual with excellent communication, teamwork and organizational skills, as well as online content management experience. The Apprenticeship Program Administrator and Saskatchewan Coordinator will support the overall administration of the prairies program and will coordinate the Saskatchewan program including recruiting and supporting mentors and apprentices, organizing farm tours and conducting check-ins and evaluations.
Prairies Program Administration:
- Respond to general program inquiries;
- Administer apprentice application intake;
- Manage contacts and lists in Salesforce database;
- Organize waivers and MOUs with participants;
- Work with other organizations and initiatives to cross-promote the Young Agrarians Apprenticeship Program; and,
- Support the YA Prairies Program Manager, and YA Alberta and Manitoba Apprenticeship Coordinators as needed.
Saskatchewan Program Coordination :
- Develop relationships with farmers and organizations in Saskatchewan on behalf of Young Agrarians;
- Recruit 10 host mentor farms for the 2022 Young Agrarians Apprenticeship Program in Saskatchewan;
- Post farm mentor profiles on YA website and social media channels;
- Co-plan online mentor workshops with the YA Prairies Program Manager, the YA Alberta and Manitoba Apprenticeship Coordinators;
- Support the promotion and marketing of the Young Agrarians Apprenticeship Program in Saskatchewan;
- Plan 4 – 8 on-farm or virtual learning events in Saskatchewan; and,
- Share opportunities, resources, tools and other communications relevant to the Saskatchewan Young Agrarians network through the YA website, social media, and U-Map.
Qualifications – essential skills
- Home office, computer, Internet connection, and cellphone;
- Strong relationship building skills to engage people from diverse socio-economic backgrounds;
- A high level of self-motivation as part of a remote team;
- A love for the learning process and supporting others on their journey;
- Ability to communicate both in writing and verbally to create engagement, motivation and action; and,
- Fluency working with computers and ability to learn new software programs as required. Software applications include: Google Drive, Salesforce, WordPress, etc.
Qualifications – assets
- Familiarity with the food and farming community in Saskatchewan;
- Database management experience; and,
- Experience representing a non-profit organization and passion for realizing the mission!
- 35 hours per week at $25/hour.
- Duration: 12 months
- This is an independent contractor position. The successful candidate will be responsible for all taxes payable including GST, WCB, and Income Taxes.
Please submit your application to: email@example.com
- Please include:
- 2–5 minute video describing your relevant experience and why this role is for you! Please use WeTransfer or YouTube/Vimeo to submit your video
- A resume saved with your first and last name as a PDF, or LinkedIn profile, or other website featuring your work experience.
Interviews will be conducted as resumes come in. Due to a high volume of emails and inquiries, please do not phone. Thank you to all applicants for your time submitting your information.