Zaklan Heritage Farm in Surrey, BC is seeking two dedicated student field hands for the 2019 season!
ABOUT ZAKLAN HERITAGE FARM
Zaklan Heritage farm is a small (1.5 acre) mixed vegetable farm situated in the heart of Canada’s fastest growing city – Surrey, BC. The farm is run by Gemma and Doug, we started the operation in 2013. We produce a wide range of vegetables using sustainable practices and ecologically friendly growing methods. We rely on small machinery and hand tools to do the majority of our work. We sell primarily to high end restaurants in Vancouver and run a 50 member CSA program for 20 weeks during the main season. We are looking for people with an interest in learning about small scale agriculture, have a good work ethic and enjoy getting dirty and working hard. We have been farming for over 8 seasons and are happy to share the knowledge we have gained during this time with our employees.
Zaklan Heritage Farm is a high production farm and during peak season harvest crops every day. The successful candidates will all be highly involved in daily and weekly harvests.
Learn more about Zaklan Heritage Farm:
We are looking for an employee who has a good work ethic, isn’t afraid of hard physical work for weeks on end, and is willing to work in all weather. We are looking for someone who can work in a team as well as independently and can be self motivated when it comes to completing tasks. There is opportunity for leadership roles with respect to tasks on the farm and working with volunteers. We are looking for someone who is able to work on weekends. Candidates need to be flexible and willing to adapt to changing schedules and plans as things shift though the season.
The successful candidate should have the following:
- Commitment to farming in a sustainable manner using ecologically sound growing
- Physically capable of carrying out tasks which require the ability to bend for long
periods of time, lift up to 20Kg
- Ability to work fast and smart and take and give direction with a positive and
- Strong prioritizing and time management skills
- Attention to detail and quality
- Ability to follow and carry out detailed instructions
- Holds a valid BC driver’s license
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Ability to work both in a team and individually
This position is partially funded through a youth employment program. Candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Must be between 15-30 (inclusive) at the start of the placement
- Must have been a student in the previous academic year
- Must be a student that intends to return to school in the upcoming academic year;
- Must be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident, or someone who has been granted
refugee status in Canada
The field crew will coordinate with other staff members the implementation of the crop plan, ensuring that crops are planted and cared for in a timely manner. They are responsible for ensuring that sustainable practices for soil management as well as pest and weed control are used.
The field crew are also responsible for communicating and selling ZHF products to customers on a weekly basis through our Community Supported Agriculture program (CSA). They are responsible for the timely and accurate harvesting and packaging for products for customers on a weekly basis and record keeping associated with CSA program.
Term: This position is full-time from May to end of August with the possibility of part-time work in the fall. The full-time position would work roughly 8 hours a day, 5 days a week 37.5 hours a week.
Weekly hours: Full-time (35-40 hours a week)
You will work alongside us, and independently during the season with tasks such as weeding, bed prep, transplanting, seeding, harvesting, packing for orders and other daily jobs at the farm.
Please send a resume and cover letter outlining your interest and experience in
sustainable agriculture to Gemma McNeill at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please specify your interest in the following in your application:
- Ability to work weekends (mainly Saturdays)
Deadline to Apply: March 30th, 2019
View other farm jobs and apprenticeships here.