You’re invited to a socially-distanced outdoor Land Social at Flyway Farm & Forest in Spillimacheen, B.C., in the heart of the picturesque Columbia Valley! If you’re curious about what land matching and sharing is all about – or just want to check out what your local farmers are up to – join us for the event.
Flyway Farm & Forest has a land opportunity listed with the B.C. Land Matching Program for an experienced farmer/farmers interested in permaculture practices, farm-to-table experiences, added value products, mixed production including small livestock, farm gate sales and CSAs. The owners also own and operate the Spilli Cafe down the road from their farm and supply much of their own produce.
We’ll tour Flyway Farm and the land opportunity available there, then your regional Land Matcher will share information about how the B.C. Land Matching Program can help you find the perfect farmer for your land – or farmland where you can build your dream farm business.
Land Socials connect farmers and farmland holders, and set them up to receive ongoing support through the B.C. Land Matching Program. Both farmers seeking land and farmland holders thinking about sharing land are encouraged to attend – as well as anyone who loves food, farming, and getting out onto the land.
DATE: Saturday, September 25, 2021 • 6-8:30 pm MT
LOCATION: On unceded and traditional territory of the Ktunaxa Nation. Meet at Flyway Farm & Forest: 1050 BC-95, Spillimacheen, BC V0A 1P0
Driving directions: Spillimacheen is about half way between Golden to the north and Radium Hot Springs to the South on Highway 95. If you’re coming from the south, keep your eye out for the farm on the right hand side at the start of town, after you’ve passed Brisco. If you’re coming from Golden, you’ll see the farm on the left after the Spilli Cafe.
REGISTER: Due to COVID-19, we require registration for our events so we can limit the number of attendees to allow for physical distancing. PLEASE REGISTER HERE TO RESERVE YOUR SPOT.
SCHEDULE (times are approximate):
6:00-6:30: Intro Circle & B.C. Land Matching Program Overview
6:30-7:30: Farm Tour @ Flyway Farm and Forest
7:30-8:30/9:00: Food & Networking
BRING: A chair or blanket to sit on and a light jacket or blanket for the cooler evening. Good walking shoes or sandals to tour the farm. Optional: face mask.
- Please stay home if you have cold or flu-like symptoms, OR if you’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19 and are completing a period of self-isolation as mandated by public health, OR if you have had contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case in the past 14 days. Refer to the BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool for more information.
- We welcome cancellations at any time – you can do so through Eventbrite, through the link in your registration confirmation email, or by contacting email@example.com. Please let us know if you aren’t able to attend so we can open up a spot to someone else.
- Please follow physical distancing guidelines and keep 6 feet apart from other people. No handshakes or hugs please!
- Masks are not required, but bring one to wear if you’d like.
- We will have a hand sanitizer station for your use throughout the event. Please refrain from touching tools, pets and livestock, and door handles etc. on the farm.
- If provincial health guidelines for events change, we may cancel the event and you will be notified by email.
- This event is free and open to everyone! Children are welcome but please leave furry friends at home.
- Join our Young Agrarians Columbia Basin Facebook group to stay up to date with all events.
- Sign up for our e-newsletter to get events and opportunities for your region delivered straight to your inbox.
ABOUT Flyway Farm & Forest
Patti and Bernie have been busy in the Columbia Valley bringing their vision of farm-to-table dining to reality! The hard-working couple who relocated a number of years ago to the area are making waves as they pioneer a new era of dining at the Spilli Station Cafe located in Spillimacheen.
From their farm Flyway Forest and Farm down the road, they produce for their cafe and also source locally grown food from around the area to supplement their gardens. Goats, chickens, hugel mounds, cinnamon buns, caramels, hip campers. They’ve got their hands full and are excited to share what they’ve been up to in order to make their farm-to-table dream a reality.
They source produce for the cafe from other local farms, like RavenWoods Farm. One of the owners, Gerhardt, joined us at the livestream tour of Flyway Farm & Forest and the Spilli Cafe back in July and shared about his farm!
Check out Flyway Farm & Forest online:
Market Garden Opportunity: https://youngagrarians.org/market-garden-farm-to-table-cafe
GOT LAND? WANT LAND?
Through the B.C. Land Matching Program, Young Agrarians offers support to farmers looking for land for their farm business, and landholders looking for farmers to farm their land. We’ve made more than 146 matches on over 6,000 acres to date! The Columbia Basin – Kootenay Land Matcher will be attending the event to answer any questions the B.C. Land Matching Program. For those unable to join us, you can send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The B.C. Land Matching Program is funded in the Columbia Basin by the Province of British Columbia, with support from Columbia Basin Trust and Patagonia.