We are devastated about the recent flooding in southern BC. Our hearts go out to all the farmers affected by flooding, and their families, animals, and communities.
This post contains resources for farmers, as well as options for those wishing to support with recovery efforts.
Resources for Farmers Affected By BC Floods:
- Link to Ministry’s website Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries response to flooding – Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca) at this site you will see
- PDF Health Emergency Management BC (HEMBC) Requesting Telephone Support
- Website Link: Health Emergency Management BC (phsa.ca)
- BC Ag Council has a great list of resources for farmers
Information on Fuel Restrictions – Agricultural Essential Vehicles
Until November 30, 2021, B.C. is prioritizing fuel for essential vehicles in impacted areas of the province. This is a temporary measure brought in by a new order under the Emergency Program to make sure we have a steady supply of fuel for the services and goods people depend on after the recent catastrophic weather events. Essential vehicles will not have a fuel limit.
This order covers the following regions:
-Lower Mainland (Vancouver to Hope)
-Sea to Sky (Squamish to Lillooet)
Under the order, agricultural and farm-use vehicles and veterinarians supporting flood response are considered essential. For a full list of essential vehicles please refer to the list here.
While most essential vehicles will be able to access gas through fuel depots and cardlock gas stations, there will be a limited number of unmarked or private vehicles that will be accessing gas at retail locations. These unmarked or private vehicles will need to show a printed or digital certification letter authorized by the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries to gas station attendants to identify their priority status and ability to fill up with no restrictions.
Agricultural operators and essential service providers in the regions listed above who use unmarked or private vehicles and require unrestricted access to fuel can request a Ministry issued certification letter below.
If you have questions or require assistance please call or email AgriServiceBC: 1-888-221-7141 at email@example.com.
For more information, see Travel and fuel restrictions – Province of British Columbia
Places to Donate for Flood Recovery in BC:
- Support Migrant Farmworkers Displaced by Floods through Migrant Rights Network
- Support Farmers and Ranchers through BC Ag Council
- Help BC Dairy Farmers Recover through BC Dairy
- Support Animal Disaster Relief through Horse Council BC
- Gofundme Canada has created a list of verified fundraisers
- CanadaHelps has created a list of fundraisers
- Daily Hive Vancouver has created a list
Do you know of other resources that should be added to these lists? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Feature image is from Forstbauer Farm in Chilliwack