You’re invited to a socially-distanced Land Social at Loveland Acres, a small-scale certified organic farm on leased land in Yankee Flats, B.C! If you’re curious about what land matching and sharing is all about, join us for the event.
Be inspired and learn about the incredible farming that can be done on leased land! We will tour the farm, enjoy some a locally prepared food, and take a dive into the steps to building a successful farm on leased land. We will explore what farming on leased land is like and learn about how the B.C. Land Matching Program can help you find the perfect piece of land for you to build your dream farm business – or the perfect farmer for your land. Your regional Land Matcher will share information and answer questions about land matching and how leasing land works. Both farmers seeking land and farmland holders thinking about leasing land are encouraged to attend – as well as anyone who loves food, farming, and getting out onto the land!
DATE: Saturday August 22, 2020 • 4-6:30 pm
LOCATION: Splatsin Territory, 3236 Salmon River Road, Salmon Arm, BC V1E 3H9
REGISTER: Due to COVID-19, we require registration for our events so we can limit the number of attendees to allow for physical distancing. Please register here or contact Tessa Wetherill at email@example.com to reserve your space.
SCHEDULE (times are approximate):
4-4:45 Farm Tour
4:45-5:30 Introduction circle & B.C. Land Matching Program Overview
5:30-6:30- Dinner & Networking
BRING: Please bring a chair or blanket to sit on. Some food and drinks will be provided, but if you’d prefer you can bring your own meal instead. There will not be any wash stations for dishes available. Optional: face mask.
SHARE: Planning on joining us? Invite your friends and share the Facebook event!
- Please do not attend if you have any symptoms of illness, or have been in contact with any confirmed or suspected COVID-19 patients. We welcome cancellations at any time (you can do so through eventbrite or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please follow physical distancing guidelines and keep 6 feet apart from other people. No handshakes or hugs please!
- Masks are not required, but bring one to wear if you’d like.
- We will have a hand sanitizer station for your use throughout the event. Please refrain from touching tools, pets and livestock, and door handles etc. on the farm.
- If provincial health guidelines for events change, we may cancel the event and you will be notified by email
- This event is free and open to everyone! Children are welcome but please leave furry friends at home.
- There is an outhouse on site
Join our Young Agrarians Okanagan-Thompson Facebook Group to stay up to date with all events.
- Sign up for our e-newsletter to get events and opportunities for your region delivered straight to your inbox.
ABOUT Loveland Acres
Farming on approximately 2 acres of leased land in the Salmon River Valley, Loveland Acres is a small scale certified organic farm owned and operated by Maylene Loveland and Robin Scheil.
“Our farm dreams were realized through a successful land match, made with the Young Agrarians and BC Land Matching Program. We moved to our new home in June of 2019 and have spent the last year shaping the land and building infrastructure for our farm business. 2020 will be our first year farming for ourselves and we’re excited to grow together with our new community in Salmon Arm, BC.”
Check out Loveland Acres online:
GOT LAND? WANT LAND?
Through the B.C. Land Matching Program, Young Agrarians offers support to farmers looking for land for their farm business, and landholders looking for farmers to farm their land. We’ve made more than 81 matches on over 4,600 acres to date! The Okanagan Land Matcher will be attending the event to answer any questions about accessing or offering land through this program. For those unable to join us, you can send a message to email@example.com for more information.
The B.C. Land Matching Program is funded in the Okanagan by the Province of British Columbia, with support from the Real Estate Foundation of B.C. and Patagonia.