You’re invited to a socially-distanced outdoor Land Social at WoodGrain Farmer Cooperative in the Kispiox Valley! If you’re curious about what land matching and sharing is all about, join us for the event.
Be inspired and learn about the incredible farming that can be done on leased land! WoodGrain Farmer Cooperative is an organic, full-circle, small-scale vegetable operation in Northwest BC within unceded traditional Gitxsan territory. Growing a diverse selection of veggies for two local markets and a 40+ member CSA, the four WoodGrain farmers have been able to divide and conquer farm tasks to keep a steady supply of locally grown vegetables for their community. Some highlights will include a passive solar propagation house currently under construction, seed and grain crop tour, and the bountiful veggie production.
We’ll tour the farm, network, and look at the steps to building a successful land sharing relationship. Your regional Land Matcher will share information about how the B.C. Land Matching Program can help you find the perfect farmer for your land – or farmland where you can build your dream farm business.
Land Socials connect farmers and farmland holders, and set them up to receive ongoing support through the B.C. Land Matching Program. Both farmers seeking land and farmland holders thinking about sharing land are encouraged to attend – as well as anyone who loves food, farming, and getting out onto the land.
DATE: Sunday, July 11, 2021 • 3-6pm
LOCATION: 490 Swan Lake Road, Hazelton, BC
REGISTER: Due to COVID-19, we require registration for our events so we can limit the number of attendees to allow for physical distancing. PLEASE REGISTER HERE TO RESERVE YOUR SPOT.
SCHEDULE (times are approximate):
3-4 Farm Tour
4-5 Introduction circle & B.C. Land Matching Program Overview
5-6 Food & Networking
BRING: Please bring a chair or blanket to sit on. A light catered meal will be provided, but if you’d prefer you can bring your own meal instead. There will not be any wash stations for dishes available. Please bring CLEAN footwear and clothing if coming from a farm/garden. Optional: face mask.
- Please stay home if you have cold or flu-like symptoms, OR if you’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19 and are completing a period of self-isolation as mandated by public health, OR if you have had contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case in the past 14 days. Refer to the BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool for more information.
- We welcome cancellations at any time – you can do so through Eventbrite, through the link in your registration confirmation email, or by contacting email@example.com. Please let us know if you aren’t able to attend so we can open up a spot to someone else.
- Please follow physical distancing guidelines and keep 6 feet apart from other people. No handshakes or hugs please!
- Masks are not required, but bring one to wear if you’d like.
- We will have a hand sanitizer station for your use throughout the event. Please refrain from touching tools, pets and livestock, and door handles etc. on the farm.
- If provincial health guidelines for events change, we may cancel the event and you will be notified by email.
- This event is free and open to everyone! Children are welcome but please leave furry friends at home.
- Join our Young Agrarians Central-Northern BC Facebook Group to stay up to date with all events.
- Sign up for our e-newsletter to get events and opportunities for your region delivered straight to your inbox.
SHARE: Planning on joining us? Invite your friends and share the Facebook event! (Link coming soon)
WoodGrain Farmer Co-op is a newly formed cooperative of 4 fantastic farmers, currently leasing land on a self-sufficient farmstead in the Kispiox Valley. Meira and Willow are the all-star market gardeners, focused on bringing a diverse vegetable selection to two local markets and supplying a 40+ member CSA. Jolene and Jonathan provide support and mentorship, and focus on infrastructure and equipment maintenance, growing and milling grain, and growing seed crops. The farmstead is also home to a flock of sheep, chickens, pigs (Bob and Doug) and a very charming milk cow (Hazel). With a passive solar propagation house under construction, and a garden literally bursting with veggies, there is plenty to see and experience on this full-circle organic farm.
Check out WoodGrain Farmer Coop online:
UPCOMING CENTRAL & NORTHERN BC EVENTS
Not able to join us for this event? Fear not! Here’s a quick look at the dates and places we’ll be visiting this season.
FARMER CAM’S – Terrace
TEA CREEK FARM – Kitwanga
THIMBLEBERRY FARM – Terrace
GOT LAND? WANT LAND?
Through the B.C. Land Matching Program, Young Agrarians offers support to farmers looking for land for their farm business, and landholders looking for farmers to farm their land. We’ve made more than 146 matches on over 6,000 acres to date! The Central and Northern BC Land Matcher will be attending the event to answer any questions the B.C. Land Matching Program. For those unable to join us, you can send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The B.C. Land Matching Program is funded in Central and Northern B.C. by the Province of British Columbia, with support from Patagonia.