Check out this JOB OPPORTUNITY with Sole Food Street Farms as Director of Operations!
Sole Food Street Farms is seeking a Director of Operations to oversee and operate all aspects of its farms. We are looking for someone who is able to manage and work alongside a large staff including long-time employees and seasonal volunteers. The position will be expected to actively participate in all of the day-to-day work with employees in addition to applicable office work. The right candidate will be production driven, but also socially engaged and excited about working with diverse groups of people in an urban environment.
Who We Are
Sole Food Street Farms transforms vacant urban land into street farms that grow artisan quality fruits and vegetables, available at farmer’s markets, local restaurants and retail outlets, and through a CSA program. Sole Food’s mission is to empower individuals with limited resources by providing jobs, agricultural training and inclusion in a supportive community of farmers and food lovers. Individuals are given basic agriculture training and are employed at the farm based on their capability. Some participants excel in this environment, but the project is set up to allow for the “ups and downs” of people with multiple barriers. For some individuals, a weekly shift at Sole Food is one of the only meaningful engagements they hold. Unlike mainstream employers, Sole Food uses employment as an outreach tactic, working to build and nurture relationships with even the most challenging individuals.
Individuals are trained to install and manage small production farms on leased urban lots. Produce grown from the farms is washed, cooled, and consolidated at a central location, then sold to restaurants, at farmers markets and distributed to community organizations. With few significant food production farms within the city, the project provides modeling and education opportunities to a population that has little connection to the natural world or to their food sources. The farm provides employees with a place to learn new skills and an opportunity for self-growth.
Sole Food now includes a network of farms throughout the city that are providing meaningful employment to 25 individuals. The farms are supplying fresh food to city residents, and presenting a successful credible model of high quality innovative agriculture within the urban context.
This candidate will work closely with the current Director of Operations and Executive Director to implement Sole Food’s seasonal farm plan and manage time and staffing to efficiently meet production requirements. This is a transitional position and will involve a long training period working with existing staff with the goal of stepping fully into the Director of Operations role late in the summer 2016. The ideal candidate will be ready to make a multi-year commitment to our organization.
- Manage staff and farm operations
- Create and submit to Executive Director a detailed annual crop plan, Including rotations, planting map, greenhouse seeding, seed inventory, and plant and seed orders
- Ensure high quality and timely production
- Communicate product availability to Distribution Coordinator for use in sales decisions
- Manage scheduling and staffing for farmers’ markets
- With Farm Supervisors, coordinate and deliver yearly performance reviews to all farm staff
- Oversee the work of the Farm Supervisors and farm staff
- Ensure that Distribution Coordinator and Farm Supervisors have information, tools, supplies and support to do their jobs effectively
- Create opportunities for staff recognition and appreciation
- Build capacity in all staff members to further organizational development and help staff realize their full potential.
- Basic tool and equipment maintenance
- Maintaining a clean and orderly environment
- Support in CSA and farmers markets
- Soil fertility and preparation
- Seed selection and plant propagation
- Direct seeding and transplanting
- Maintenance of all farm equipment and facilities, supervision of repair and maintenance work
- Maintenance of accurate records of all farm activities
- Create weekly work plan for site staff
- Create and weekly staff schedule
- Manage all farm site operations: soil prep, planting, cultivation, irrigation, harvesting
- Create planting schedule based on crop plan and changing market needs
- On farm training for staff.
- Maintenance of accurate records of all farm activities.
- Weekly reporting to Administrative Director and Executive Director
- Maintain all sites in a clean and orderly fashion
- Perform tours or other farm-related public activities as needed
- With Executive Director build and maintain connections with other community groups to help create opportunities for partnerships.
- Participate in grant writing related to on-farm activities
- Work with community partners to support programming for staff members
- Provide support to staff when needed. Keep informed of staff well being, needs, and concerns.
- With Executive Director and Administrative Director evaluate staff wages annually
- With Executive Director and Administrative director, create yearly workshop and skill-building schedule for staff.
- Minimum of 3+ years of agricultural production experience, with at least one year in a leadership role.
- Demonstrated understanding of sustainable and organic production.
- Experience with irrigation, farm equipment, and carpentry skills preferred
- Strong organizational skills including: multi-tasking, prioritizing, planning, and effective time management;
- Motivated, flexible and ability to work independently
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations
- Valid driver’s license and able to drive manual transmission and larger vehicles
- Access to computer and phone
- Be in excellent physical condition and able to lift 50 lbs.
- The successful candidate will be patient and compassionate with a sharp sense of humour and excellent interpersonal skills.
This position is year-round starting mid-February 2016, with an average of 40 hours/week. Must be available to work weekends and occasional evenings. Salary commensurate with experience includes two weeks paid vacation, extended health benefits, and access to farm products.
Please send resume, cover letter and three work related references to info solefoodfarms.com* . Please put Director of Operations Application in the subject of the email. Applications will be accepted until November 12 and we expect to begin interviewing at the beginning of December.