About Yasodhara Ashram:
Yasodhara Ashram is yoga retreat and study centre, supporting the potential of transformation and offering yoga programs year round. Stewarding 115 acres of land that include lightly managed forests and more intensive gardens and grounds, the Ashram is a vibrant and beautiful place of retreat and seclusion.
Located on the edge of Kootenay Lake, we are proud to be part of our East Shore community, understand what it means to belong to a thriving community and find ways to collaborate across sectors. We are a model for environmental responsibility and provide tours of energy efficient buildings and new installations so visitors, other groups and organizations can learn from the Ashram’s sustainability initiatives.
This position—which is a combination of research, learning and practical application—will build on previous partnership work and research with local organizations to address resilience concerns regarding land, fire protection and energy use. The focus will be to investigate sustainable land management for invasive species and forest fire suppression.
Hours: 40 hours per week, Full time
Starte date: Immediate
End date: August 31, 2016
Job Review: After one month probation and at end of contract
Reporting to: Grounds Manager
Rate of pay: $10.45/hour*
This is a federally funded Canada Summer Jobs position, to be eligible, applicants must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and,
- be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
Students of horticulture, landscape management, plant science, resource management or forestry are encouraged to apply. Priority will be given to Aboriginal People and Visible Minorities who apply and self identify.
The person in this position is expected to perform all duties as assigned, using the following guidelines:
- Provide excellent service and care
- Bring quality, care and harmony to the workplace
- Communicate effectively and professionally with guests, staff and Ashram managers
- Be flexible and steady in handling changing and challenging circumstances
Tasks will involve:
- researching and implementing sustainable land management practices for invasive species throughout the Ashram land
- researching and implementing sustainable forest fire suppression practices
- working with the Ashram land ethic, the student will help support, develop and implement this land protection program
- researching local and regional experts to build a bank of resources for community education and training
- to organize practical workshops for hands-on learning for both Ashram and community members
- Training and education in horticulture, landscape management, plant science, resource management or forestry
- Ability to work physically with the land: digging, lifting, planting
- Knowledge of plants, soil, compost and insect pest management an asset
- Proficient with computer software programs and Microsoft Office. (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and is able to present, communicate and facilitate learning
- Interest in resilient living and sustainable practices
- Ability to work with a diversity of people including guests, general contractors, subcontractors and the public
- Ability to multi-task, oversee big picture and day to day tasks
- Ability to prioritize and adjust plans easily
- Organizational skills (records, tools, people, plants)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work in a changing environment
- Keen observation
* Yasodhara Ashram is a residential spiritual community. Candidates are also invited to apply to live onsite with consideration that this is a unique situation and may not work for everyone. Please indicate your interest in your application.
To apply please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Please include a description of why you would like to work and potentially live at Yasodhara Ashram.
Applications will be reviewed as they come in. We will receive applications until May 13, 2016.