West Enderby Farm is looking for an employee Mid-May to Mid-November 2015! (This position has been filled for the 2015 growing season)
We are a certified organic farm located on the edge of the small town of Enderby in the beautiful North Okanagan. We grow mainly carrots, beets, cabbage, and onions for retail and wholesale customers. The farm is owned and managed by Paddy Doherty and Elaine Spearing, both experienced organic growers.
We have been steadily establishing this farm since 2011 and now have an opportunity for someone to join us full time, working alongside us and our existing part-time crew. This will be a full-time position with the opportunity to take on varied crop production and record-keeping responsibilities.
The position will suit an energetic, reliable person who has already completed at least one season’s work on a farm, and is keen to broaden their skills and experience. We are looking for someone who is:
- Interested in growing organic vegetables
- Fit and able to work physically for a full working day
- Interested in operating machinery
- Able to work on their own but enjoys working with, organising, and motivating a team
- Adaptable to switching jobs according to weather/crop needs
- Able to keep accurate records
- Able to celebrate success and retain optimism in sun, rain, mud, and mishaps!
Maintaining a safe, respectful workplace is important to us.
- Mechanical weed control using implements mounted on Allis G tractors
- Hand line irrigation
- Weeding using hand tools
- Seeding using walk-behind seeder and broadcast seeder
- Planting out module and bare-root transplants
- Organisation and cleaning of work areas, tools, materials, and equipment
- Hand harvesting
- Mechanical harvest as part of a team operating a carrot and beet harvester
- Maintaining seeding, harvest, records
- Washing, packing, sorting, collating orders
Hours and wages:
37.5 hours per week, $15/hr. Monday to Friday with some flexibility. Up to 55 hours/6 days per week during peak harvest in September.
We regret there is NO ON-FARM ACCOMODATION The farm is walking distance from Enderby, and within 30 minutes drive from Salmon Arm, Armstrong and Vernon. We would do our best to assist someone moving to the area to find accommodation.
Need more information? https://www.soilmate.com/farms/west–enderby–farm
Questions? Call Elaine 250 838-0965, or send an e-mail to email@example.com
Ready to apply? Send us an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please attach your resume and tell us
- Why you would like the job
- What interests you most about it
- About previous farm/garden experience
- Of any previous experience with machinery