(*This posting closes at midnight on Sunday June 6.)
YYC Growers and Distributors is a farmer-owned cooperative of both urban and rural farmers in and around the Calgary area. They strive to contribute to Calgary’s food security by distributing local, high quality produce grown throughout the year at a price that is fair to both consumers and producers. They distribute approximately 700 weekly Vegetable Harvest Boxes (along with fruit, meat, and other individually purchased products) through home delivery and local pickups at over a dozen locations around the city. Their cooperative structure strengthens the market presence of our diverse member-growers and demonstrates that urban farming is a viable use of land in our city. They strive towards regenerative farming practices that have the potential to heal the earth while producing delicious food. They are also passionate about enhancing the connections between urban and rural communities in Alberta.
In this role, you will be responsible for the accurate end-to-end handling and sorting of all product from receiving to final distribution from our warehouse. You will work closely with other operations team members such as the Volunteer Coordinator/Home Delivery Fulfillment Specialist and Operations Lead. This role will require approximately 32-36 hours per week starting on June 14 at a starting rate of $18.50/hr. For your first two weeks, you will be working alongside the team member who is transitioning out of this position.
Work days typically begin at 8:30 AM and end once you are satisfied with the completion of your tasks (you will be responsible for your own hours and time management). You will have access to a 20% team discount on subscriptions and a 30% discount on other items purchased. YYC Growers is also seeking to activate a staff benefits package by the end of the summer.
Who would be a good fit?
- Do you have a passion for local food, farming, culinary skills, the local economy and/or regenerative agriculture?
- Do you enjoy working at a fast pace while maintaining a high level of organization and unwavering attention to detail?
- Are you quick on your feet and looking to spend most of the day performing physical work? (Including frequent bending, stacking, lifting of up to 60lbs, and operation of various mechanical aids such as pallet jacks and tailgate hoists.)
- Are you self-motivated and willing to take ownership, initiative, and accountability for your roles? (YYC Growers follows a decentralized/self-managing organizational model in which individuals are empowered to take responsibility for their roles.)
- Do you have a positive, friendly attitude and a passion for interacting with people? (Must be a good public spokesperson for our organization while hosting markets and working alongside volunteers.)
What are the Role Accountabilities?
The following is a non-exhaustive list of key tasks and responsibilities that fall under the roles you would be energizing.
- Accurately receive weekly produce from our farmers.
- Accurately sort and label produce into correct volumes on pallets for pickup locations and home deliveries.
- Ensure produce, eggs, frozen items, trade bins, Farm Store orders, and location-specific equipment is ready for our distribution delivery driver.
- Organize produce to send for multiple weekly pop-up markets; striking a balance between abundant and diverse produce for sale while avoiding and preventing product spoilage.
- Manage the freshness of produce in the warehouse coolers with an understanding of cold chain and first-in/first-out principles.
- Track all non-perishable items via a monthly inventory.
- Assist home delivery drivers in accurate loading of bagged orders and additional frozen items.
- Support warehouse volunteers and home delivery drivers as needed.
- Host the Friday warehouse pop-up market/pickup location on a rotating basis.
- Maintain general upkeep and cleanliness of the warehouse while keeping stocked on essential supplies (soap, sanitizer, paper towel, etc.)
- Support and create a positive working environment for teammates and summer students.
- Excellent written communication skills in French and English;
- Experience in grant writing and reporting;
- Experience coordinating projects within strict timelines and budgets;
- Very good knowledge of the nonprofit sector in Canada and the major players in financing projects related to agriculture and climate change;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team in a highly collaborative work environment;
- Initiative, proactivity and curiosity.
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to work quickly while maintaining accuracy
- Able to continually improve efficiencies and processes
- Takes personal initiative and resourcefully seeks to solve problems
- Able to bend, reach, and occasionally lift up to 50 lbs to shoulder height
- Able to be on your feet throughout the day
- General computer skills and home internet/computer access
Monday ~ 2-3 hrs *Remote (Virtual team meetings and paperwork prep.)
Tuesday ~ 8.5 hrs *In Person (Approx.)
Wednesday ~ 8.5 hrs *In Person (Approx.)
Thursday ~ 8.5 hrs *In Person (Approx.)
Friday ~ 5 – 8 hrs *In Person (Friday closing shift is on a 3 week rotation with other team members)
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. If they decide to proceed with your resume, they will have you come in for a half-day working interview between June 8-11 to try out aspects of the position.