Postion: Farm Field Staff
Location: Pemberton, BC
Duration: May 4th‐October 30th, 2015. 40 hours/week; 5 days/week. Must be available to work till the end of the season.
We are a Certified Organic Farm nestled in the Pemberton Valley among the Coast Range mountains.
We grow a variety of vegetables and raise pastured pigs. All our produce is locally sold in the Pemberton/Whistler communities through restaurants, retailers and a CSA harvest box program.
We are committed to providing the finest of Pemberton produce and enjoy good food and hard work.
Our farm team is responsible for planting, weeding, harvesting and processing 25+ varieties of vegetables. Additionally the pastured pigs, and other farm animals require daily chores. We are in search of hard‐working, self‐motivated individuals. We require staff to be physically fit, enjoy the satisfaction of a job well‐done and are committed to providing a good product and service to our customers. The farm is a fast paced environment with timelines and task lists, and requires work to be done efficiently.
Successful candidates must enjoy working outside in all conditions and must be okay with repetitive tasks, dirty hands, sweaty conditions and soaking mud. Work is done in all types of weather (rain, heat, bugs, etc.), and staff must be able to handle these conditions.
Rootdown Farm is also a positive, open minded and fun work place with the flexibility to learn farming techniques, if desired.
- Seeding, transplanting and weeding vegetable crops
- Harvesting, cleaning and packing vegetables (must be able to lift 20kg).
- Feeding/watering animals (including rowdy 200+lb pigs)
- Operating irrigation
- Being accountable for harvest orders and packing details
- Displaying a task‐focused and detail‐oriented approach to daily duties.
- Giving direction to a crew of volunteers on occasion.
- Able to problem solve and improvise in uncertain conditions
- Maintaining a strong work ethic
- Effectively communicating; being open and honest and displaying a commitment to resolving conflict in a productive and mature way.
- Arriving punctual and prepared to work and being aware of our flexible schedule as the weather and daylight change (Start times vary throughout the season from 8 to 6 AM depending on temperature and daylight).
Compensation: The initial wage for this position is $13.00/hour. Staff will also have access to free vegetables for their own consumption, as well as eggs. Wage increases throughout the season are possible depending on performance. An “End‐of‐Season” bonus is also included and may be farm product or cash depending on personal desire. Extended Health Benefits are also available.
How to Apply: Interested folk should send resume to Simone by email at email@example.com. Please include a cover letter describing your motivations to apply for this job and the specific skills/experience you have that match the work description and would prepare you for the challenges of organic vegetable production and farm work.