** This position has been filled (April 27, 2016) **
West Enderby Farm is looking for a full-time employee from Mid-May to the end of December 2016. This is an opportunity to take on varied crop production and record-keeping responsibilities.
We are a certified organic farm located on the edge of the small town of Enderby, in the beautiful North Okanagan. We grow carrots, beets, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and onions for local retailers and wholesale customers. The farm is owned and managed by Paddy Doherty and Elaine Spearing, both experienced organic growers.
This is a key position, working alongside us and our other staff members. It will suit an energetic, reliable person who has already completed at least one season’s work on a farm, and is keen to broaden their skills and experience. We are looking for someone who is:
- Interested in growing organic vegetables
- Fit and able to work physically for a full working day
- Interested in operating machinery
- Able to work on their own, but enjoys working with and motivating a team
- Adaptable to switching jobs according to weather/crop needs
- Able to keep accurate records
- Able to celebrate success and retain optimism in sun, rain, mud, and mishaps!
Maintaining a safe, respectful workplace is important to us.
– mechanical weed control using implements mounted on cultivating tractors
– hand line irrigation
– weeding using hand tools
– seeding using walk-behind seeder and broadcast seeder
– planting out module and bare-root transplants
– organization and cleaning of work areas, tools, materials, and equipment
– hand harvesting
– mechanical harvest as part of a team operating a carrot and beet harvester
– maintaining seeding, harvest, records
– washing, packing, sorting, collating orders
Hours and wages:
– 37.5 hours per week Monday to Friday, with some flexibility.
– Up to 55 hours/6 days per week during peak harvest in August and September.
$13- $15 per hour, dependent on skills/experience
There is NO on-farm accommodation. The farm is walking distance from Enderby and within 30 minutes drive from Salmon Arm, Armstrong, and Vernon.
For more information and pictures of the farm, visit our profile on the Soilmate website: https://www.soilmate.com/farms/west-enderby-farm
Questions? – call Elaine at 250-838-0965 or send an e-mail to email@example.com
To apply for this job: Send us an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please attach your resume, two references, and tell us:
- Why you would like the job
- What interests you most about it
- About previous farm/garden experience
- Of any previous experience with machinery