Fresh Roots is offering a Schoolyard Farm Internship that will lead into a full time summer job for the 2019 season.
ABOUT FRESH ROOTS
Fresh Roots stewards 1/2-acre market gardens on school grounds across the lower mainland. Its fields produce good food for the community, empower youth through vocational skills development, and serve as hands-on outdoor classrooms for over 5000 students each year. This internship will be based out of our East and South Vancouver farm sites.
Everyone should have access to healthy food, soil, and community. Fresh Roots enacts this vision by cultivating engaging gardens and programs that catalyze healthy eating, ecological stewardship, and community celebration.
Find Fresh Roots on:
- Must meet Canada Summer Jobs Requirements and be able to continue full-time in the summer
- Experience in gardening or farming
- Able to carry out a variety of tasks that involve bending, squatting, and lifting
- Happy to work outdoors in all conditions
- Can take direction and also act as a leader to carry out specific tasks
- Team player with patience and a sense of humour (vegetable puns are encouraged)
- Able to give and receive feedback
- Able to pass a criminal record check
The Schoolyard Farm Intern will assist the Fresh Roots Farm Manager in growing Good Food on school grounds. As part of the farm team, the Schoolyard Farm Intern will take part in crop production, field maintenance, harvesting, and produce sales. Fresh Roots Interns will have a chance to learn and work in many areas of the organization, including elementary and teen educational programming.
This position consists of a 252 hour unpaid, credit-option internship over two semesters, January to May and September to November, 2019 — plus full-time paid employment through Canada Summer Jobs from May through August.
Hours per month will break down roughly as follows:
- January-March: 25 hours (internship)
- April-May: 100 hours (internship)
- May-August: 40 hours/week (summer job)
- September-November: 125 hours (internship)
- UBC Credit option, 6 credits, LFS 496 or directed study;
- Kwantlen credit option: 3 credits, AGRI 4295.
Are you a student in another program? We may be able to work with you to receive credit!
Position will transition to paid, 40 hours per week for mid-May through August. Pay rate DOE, but not less than $15.00/hour.
E-mail a short cover letter (500 words) and resume (in one document) to email@example.com