Food Secure Canada in Montréal, Québec is seeking an Executive Director!
ABOUT Food Secure Canada
Founded in 2001, Food Secure Canada (FSC) is a pan-Canadian, non-partisan, bilingual
alliance of organizations and individuals working together to achieve healthy, just, and
sustainable food systems for all.
Building on diverse community food practices, we work with our members towards food
sovereignty and for deep and lasting change in our food system.
FSC brings together organizations to advance food sovereignties and tackle challenges
related to the food system. We do this by:
1. Providing a platform through which the food movement unites to influence food policy.
2. Committing to dismantling systemic oppression in society and the food system
3. Working to ensure food actors have greater capacity, tools, and knowledge to better serve their communities and effect change.
Our mission is to support an equitable and empowered food movement.
Our vision is that of a just, healthy, and sustainable food system which honours our relationship the earth and each other.
We work to amplify the power of diverse voices to transform the food system through dialogue, advocacy and capacity building.
Our values includes: equity and justice; respect, compassion and patience; interdependence; balance and grounded; food is sacred; (Un)learning; and courage.
We are looking for a leader who is comfortable carrying an ambitious vision, without compromising the finer details. They are eager to tell Food Secure Canada’s story and foster new relationships with diverse stakeholders and supporters from across Canada.
They are a relationship-builder by nature and can effortlessly motivate a small and dynamic staff team and hundreds of members to achieve collective goals and inspire meaningful change. All while creating a positive, collaborative and fun work environment. They recognize and are committed to the full and inclusive participation of Indigenous Peoples to achieve reconciliation, and will take the time to build fully respectful cross-cultural relationships. They recognize that with a growing movement comes increasing complexity, and you are willing to explore that.
They are a strong administrator, with a background in management, human resources, financial oversight, board governance, membership engagement, and organizational development. They are committed to inclusion, diversity, equity and anti-oppression work and will champion transparent and democratic decision-making.
Strategic & Operational Plan
- Advances the strategic priorities of the organization and monitors progress on key indicators of success
- Frames and communicates FSC’s impact and vision for the Canadian food movement to funders, policymakers, partners, stakeholders, and the public through various internal and external media
- Oversees all project proposals, monitoring and evaluation, and all external communications, to ensure alignment with strategic and operational objectives
- Monitors, analyzes, and is able to comment on food policy issues from the point of view of Food Secure Canada and its members
Relationship & Team Building
- Builds and sustains strong relationships with network partners, funders, and food movement actors to advance policy and systems change
- Initiates, consults, and collaborates on member-endorsed reports, recommendations, and campaigns
- Leads government relations strategy and maintains good relations with elected officials and civil servants with relevant federal departments and parliamentary portfolios
- Cultivates a positive, inclusive and safe work environment
- Oversees all areas of human resources, including staff hiring and retention, performance evaluation, compensation, and grievance
- Cultivates relationships with funders and maintains an up-to-date list of potential partners
- Works with staff, board members and collaborators to prepare applications and reports to funders
- Directs sponsorship drives for events
Governance & Administration
- Prepares materials and documents for monthly board meetings and activities and reports on organizational performance to the Board
- Provides financial oversight and preparation of budgets for reports and audits, and fosters good internal controls and accountability mechanisms
- Oversees the key events such as policy workshops, training sessions, conferences and collaborations with other organizations.
- Supports the Board of Directors in preparing for and facilitating the Annual General Meeting, including the drafting and distribution of all documentation
- Develops, reviews, and signs all contracts for suppliers, partnerships and funding agreements
Term: This is a permanent position. Chosen candidate will start as soon as possible.
Hours per week: 40 hours a week, including 1 h paid lunch everyday.
Wage: Salary: $85,000 – $95,000
Applications should apply via a form through this link : bit.ly/FSC_ED-ApplicationForm
The form will ask for a resume, a cover letter, additional documents that you feel contribute to demonstrating your alignment with the opportunity (optional) and asks a few more questions.
Deadline to apply: November 4, 2022 at 12 PM (Noon) Eastern Time
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org