Jonathan’s Farm in Winnipeg, Manitoba is seeking Market Gardeners & Field and Greenhouse Leads!
ABOUT Jonathan’s Farm
Jonathan’s Farm is located 10 minutes north of Winnipeg and grows vegetables for 450 CSA members and the Wolseley Farmers Market.
Most of our work is done by hand with a tractor to assist with transplanting and cultivation.
We are committed to ecological farming practices and all our vegetables are grown naturally: no pesticides or herbicides prohibited by organic standards are used. We value the relationships we develop with our CSA customers and the communities we serve.
We’re looking for employees with an interest in food production and that enjoy hard work.
Employees will be required to meet the physical requirements of agricultural work:
- Lift 50 pounds
- Complete 8 hours of continuous physical work
- Work in adverse weather when needed
- Ability to adapt to demands of agricultural production (varied and changing tasks, weather, overtime hours if needed).
- Valid driver’s license (an asset)
Market garden worker:
Under the supervision of the Farm Manager or Field/greenhouse lead, the market garden worker will :
- Undertake greenhouse tasks and seedling propagation
- Undertake weed management and pest control measures
- Set up and operate irrigation equipment
- Harvest and prepare vegetables for market and CSA
- Assist with Farmer’s Market and CSA pick up distribution
The field lead will spend approximately half of her/his time working alongside the Market garden workers. In addition to these tasks and in collaboration with Jonathan’s Farm Owner/Manager, the Field Lead will be responsible for:
- Ensuring harvested vegetables are the right size, appearance and quality
- Identifying staffing needs for harvest activities
- Orientation and supervision of harvesters to ensure efficient harvests
- Monitoring harvest supplies to ensure on-time ordering
- Accurately recording harvest information
- Liaising and coordinating daily with Farm manager and Pack House Lead
- Proactively identifying and communicating potential problems and opportunities for process improvement
- Coordinating and supervising field transplanting and weed management.
- Management of crop covers
- Field irrigation
The Greenhouse lead will spend approximately half of her/his time working alongside the Market garden workers. In addition to these tasks and in collaboration with Jonathan’s Farm Owner/Manager, the Greenhouse lead will also be responsible for:
- Greenhouse operation, including crop pruning and environmental management.
- Coordinating and supervising greenhouse tasks.
- Seedling propagation
- Greenhouse watering
- Weed and pest control
- Greenhouse harvesting and accurately recording harvest information
Term: Start and End dates vary. April to November, term to be negotiated.
Part time winter (Dec-March) employment may be available.
Hours per week: Full and part time positions are available. Hours to be negotiated – minimum 15 to maximum 40 hours. Because of the realities of agricultural work, flexibility to work additional hours, or changed hours will occasionally be requested.
Market Gardener: Starting wage: $15 /hour + vacation pay. Employer is registered with Workers Compensation.
Field/Greenhouse lead: Starting wage: $18/hour + vacation pay. Employer is registered with Workers Compensation.
Please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Applications will remain open until the positions are filled. I will start interviews mid – late January
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Jonathan’s Farm