Victory Gardens in Vancouver, BC is hiring a Seasonal Garden Installer, Ecological Landscaper, and Expert Food Grower and Educator for the 2020 season!
About Victory Gardens
WE HELP YOU GROW FOOD: We build. We teach. We grow.
Victory Gardens is a Vancouver based worker cooperative founded in 2012 that is motivated to transform landscapes to become productive, beneficial and beautiful. Our model removes the barriers to all types of production, such as: Annual vegetable, perennial fruit and berry, pollinator, native and xeriscaped gardens and ensures the gardens thrive through education and maintenance. All garden activities are organic and are intentionally focused on ensuring continuity with existing landscapes and adding to local biodiversity.
Victory Gardens needs your help! We are looking for fellow plant and food comrades to join our team and help people design, build and maintain productive, sustainable and beneficial landscapes. In addition, we’re excited to connect with folks inspired to share knowledge with individuals and organizations to become more self-sufficient.
Are you a person who is committed to creating a positive impact towards a more sustainable food system? Are you driven to provide an opportunity for people to connect to their food source in a fun and accessible way? Do you want to work in an environment that is meaningful and innovative? We feel you! By joining the team at VG, you’ll not only be playing an active role in making Vancouver more healthy and sustainable, you’ll have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and driven team while getting hands-on experience with a growing social enterprise in an environment that is team-focused, supportive and spreads a positive message!
We’re Looking For Someone with/who:
- Has experience growing food in an urban or rural environment
- Has some landscaping experience (lawn maintenance not required)
- Exceptional attitude and interest in working with a team
- Enjoys working outdoors and has good rain gear
- Someone who is physically capable and ok with regular heavy lifting
- Self-starter attitude and exceptional time management skills
- Flexibility and openness to adapt to an ever-changing schedule
- Is professional and reliable
- Is comfortable driving a truck
We’re looking for stellar folks to build, maintain and educate in edible, productive and beneficial gardens in Vancouver, BC. You will have the opportunity to build organic vegetable gardens in all kinds of spaces, maintain ecological landscapes and grow food in our region. Not to mention you’ll get to work outside all summer long! Who needs the gym?
- Assist with the delivery/pick-up of all inputs necessary for installations
- Provide manual labour to move a variety of materials including: Wood, garden beds, rock, soil
- Ensure tools and supplies are organized
- Ensure job sites are tidy through-out installation
- Maintain residential, institutional and commercial landscapes utilizing holistic practices which includes:
- Pruning and limbing
- Amending soil
- Pest Management
- Possibility of design
Expert Food Grower:
- Plan, plant and maintain organic food gardens which includes:
- Potential to manage relationship with clients and gardens over time
- Plan food garden schedule and execute planting of both seeds and starts
- Strategize and foresee opportunities to improve gardens infrastructure, productivity, etc.
- Pest and disease diagnosis and management
Building Garden Infrastructure:
- Potential to assist carpenter with sanding and staining beds
Operational Duties Including:
- Potentially taking inventory at headquarters
- Restocking and tidying at headquarters
- Watering the greenhouse
Term: Mid March (pending weather) start until the season slows between July/August, with possibility of full time hours during busiest periods (32-40 hrs approx)
Hours: Long days are a guarantee with an averaging agreement in place to minimize over time
Wage: $20/hr to start
- Preference to those with flexible working schedules to accommodate for changing workload
- Potential for access to collective insurance plan / benefits after 3 months of full-time employment
- Class 5 license is required and a vehicle is an asset
How to Apply
Submit a resume and cover letter with the subject line: VG Job Application to:
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at Youngagrarians.org
Learn More About Victory Gardens
Check out the Victory Gardens Website