Salt & Harrow Farm in Tsawwassen, BC is hiring Farm Hand & Market Crew, a Packshed Manager, and an Assistant Farm Manager for the 2020 season!
About Salt & Harrow Farm
Salt & Harrow Farm is a certified organic vegetable farm opening a new location in Tsawwassen, BC. Ten acres are devoted to vegetable production, with over 50 varieties of vegetables, legumes, fruits, and herbs. We sell our produce at eight farmers markets, to restaurants, our Salt & Harrow Storehouse, and through a full-choice membership program.
We hope our food is a reflection of the place in which it is grown and the joy we take in growing it. By caring for the soil we strive to produce nourishing food, made by land, healthy soil, and hard working farmers.
All management positions require a minimum of three years of farming experience or related management experience.
Although exposure to commercial agriculture is preferred for most positions it is not required, as long as the candidate is willing to learn and has a strong work ethic.
Our ideal candidate has:
- A serious interest in farming as a lifestyle and/or livelihood
- Physical ability to carry out farm tasks (repetitive tasks, lifting 50 lbs. repeatedly during the day, crouching and bending for long periods)
- Lots of energy and highly motivated
- A mind for efficiency
- Attention to detail and ability to understand and execute quality standards
- Open and positive communication skills
- Willingness to learn
- A friendly personality and willingness to spend time with customers, chefs, and CSA members
- Class 5 Drivers License
- Ability to work outside for long periods of time in all weather conditions
- Be punctual; be prepared to work at the designated time, with the necessary tools, and proper clothing.
- Sense of humour!
Our field staff will be expected to develop a wide variety of skills: greenhouse seedling production, field planting, cultivation, tractor work and harvesting, produce deliveries, as well as building and repairing infrastructure. Be prepared for physically demanding work, rain or shine. We are committed to sharing our knowledge and promoting advancement for our employees. We work hard and want to share the rewards of this profession with aspiring farmers.
- Potting mix preparation and propagation seeding
- Field and greenhouse planting
- Trellising and staking of crops
- Cultivation and weed control
- Organic pest control application and moving of row covers
- Harvesting and crop handling
- Post harvest washing, packing, and basic harvest record keeping
- Farmers market customer service and cash register operation
- Rotating farm chores (harvesting, propagation watering, mowing and farm maintenance)
Term: The Management Positions begin April 15th, 2020
The Farm Hand position begins May 1st, 2020 and ends November 1st. We cannot make commitments for work beyond the end date. The work will vary during the season as each change in temperature provides a new focus for the work that needs to be done. We work in a rural community with access to public transit. We share a meal as a crew every week and this is an opportunity to ask questions and enjoy the bounty of the farm.
Two weeks advance notice is required for vacation breaks.
Hours: We have both full and part-time seasonal positions available. The full-time position will be approx. 40-50 hrs/week, with some room for flexibility if additional help is needed. Availability for weekend markets preferred.
Please see our website for job postings: Assistant Farm Manager, Packshed Manager and Farm Hand. www.saltandharrow.com/jobs
Wage: Starting wage is $15/hr. with 4% vacation pay and access to farm vegetables.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Deadline to apply: April 1st, 2020
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at Youngagrarians.org
Learn More About Salt & Harrow Farm
Check out the Salt & Harrow Farm website
Follow @saltandharrow on Instagram