Rootdown Farm in Pemberton, BC is hiring 3 field crew for the 2020 season!
About Rootdown Farm
Established in 2009, we grow over 25 varieties of field and hoop-house vegetables and are committed to providing the finest local produce to the communities of Pemberton and Whistler through a weekly CSA Harvest Box program, restaurants, and grocery retailers. Our farm team is responsible for seeding, transplanting, watering, weeding, harvesting and processing over 25 varieties of vegetables. Staff should display a fine balance of task efficiency with detail-oriented product quality in farm operation and customer service.
We are a certified organic farm located in the beautiful Pemberton Valley.The farm is a fast-paced environment with objectives and deadlines requiring work to be done efficiently. We enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done, and celebrate that many of our prior staff have gone on to start their own successful farming endeavours.
- We expect honesty in communication, acceptance of diversity, tolerance of adversity and uncertainty, and prudence in judgement.
- Experience with physical labour
- Experience with fast paced work environment
- Desire to learn new skills, and improve at them
- The ability to communicate and work as part of a team to accomplish common goals
- Previous farming, tree-planting and landscape experience is desired, but not necessary.
Staff are required to work outside in variable and challenging environmental conditions (rain and mud, sun and heat, bugs, etc.) doing sweaty repetitive tasks. The farm’s Operation Handbook provides instructions and consistent product standards to guide farm tasks. Field crew provide occasional supervision of weekly volunteers on basic farm tasks.
- Seeding, transplanting and weeding vegetable crops
- Harvesting, cleaning and packing vegetables (must be able to lift 20kg).
- Following farm Operation Handbook for tasks instructions and quality consistency.
- Being accountable for harvest orders and packing details
- Displaying a task-focused and detail-oriented approach to daily duties.
- Providing instruction and coaching to a crew of volunteers on basic farm tasks.
- Able to problem solve and improvise in uncertain conditions
- Maintaining a strong work ethic, always seeking ways to improve on tasks. (If last week it took 30 minutes to do a task, how can you do it in 27 minutes this week?)
- Effectively communicating, being open and honest and displaying a commitment to resolving conflict in a productive and mature way.
- Arriving punctual and prepared to work and displaying good self-care and a positive attitude.
- Contribute to ownership of a clean and tidy work place
- For designated on-farm focus areas; learn and execute specific tasks following the Operation Handbook and oversee the season management for the focus area (transplant seeding, harvest/packing, and hoop-house crops)
(Three Positions Available)
APRIL 15-OCTOBER 15, 2020
MAY 1-OCTOBER 15, 2020
MAY 1-SEPTEMBER 1, 2020
Hours: Start times in the morning vary from 6:00-8:00 depending on the available daylight and anticipated temperatures. Weekly work requirements fulfill 35-50 hours/week depending on the demands of the season.
Wage: The initial wage for this position is $15/hour. Wage increases during the season are possible with demonstration of prior experience, or with improved skill and performance.
Staff will also have access to free vegetables for their own consumption. Basic seasonal housing may be available for rent on the farm.
An “End-of-Season” bonus of $0.25/hr for total hours worked is given to all full-time staff .
Interested folk should send a resume and cover letter to Simone at email@example.com.
Qualified candidates will be contacted beginning in mid-January to schedule an interview.
Deadline: February 1st, 2020
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at Youngagrarians.org.
Learn More About Rootdown Farm
View other farm jobs and apprenticeships here.