Are you looking to get started in farming or hone your existing skills on an experienced, organized organic vegetable farm?
Plenty Wild Farms in Pemberton, BC is looking for one more Field Crew member and a Post-Harvest Lead for the 2022 season & beyond.
Come join our team!
ABOUT PLENTY WILD FARMS
We are a small, certified organic farm dedicated to growing top-quality produce for our local communities. 2022 will be our 10th year in operation and we plan to grow 50+ different types of vegetables on ~3.5 acres. These veggies will be sold through our online store, farm stand and two farmers’ markets. We also run an innovative Farm Share program (our version of a CSA). We’re excited about good food and making a difference through farming & environmental stewardship.
The farm is located just a couple kilometres from the Village of Pemberton, which has an amazing bakery, plenty of restaurants, yoga studios, a wonderful library and more. The Pemberton Valley and surrounding Coast Mountains offer amazing opportunities for hiking, biking & other outdoor activities.
Learn more about us here: www.plentywild.ca/about
You are punctual, reliable and self-motivated. You are passionate about food & farming. You enjoy physical work and being outdoors. You can handle repetitive tasks and are able to hustle & move quickly to get the job done. You are committed to excellence and pay attention to quality, detail & efficiency. You are open-minded, inclusive and considerate. You are able to work independently or as part of a team. You can take direction, give & receive feedback and ask for help when needed.
ABOUT THE WORK
May 2nd to October 28th, 2022 (approximately 30-40 hours/week)
Starting at $15.20/hour plus on-farm accommodation – a higher wage is available if on-farm accommodation is not provided.
Field Crew members will be involved in seeding, planting, irrigating, weeding, pruning & trellising, harvesting, cleaning & packing a wide variety of crops and helping keep accurate farm records.
- physically fit; able to bend for long periods of time; able to lift & carry up to 50 lbs
- must be able to work outdoors in all seasons and in all weather conditions
- able to work quickly & efficiently in a fast-paced environment
- able to work independently and as part of a team with strong communication skills
- previous physical labour and/or recreational experience is preferred, but not necessary
- an interest in working with us for multiple seasons is preferred, but not necessary
May 2nd to December 9th, 2022 (approximately 30-50 hours/week)
Starting at $16.20/hour plus on-farm accommodation – a higher wage is available if on-farm accommodation is not provided
In addition to being an active member of the Field Crew, this person, under the direction of the Farm Manager, will be responsible for:
- Efficiently & effectively receiving, washing, packing and preparing produce on schedule for our online store, farm stand and farmers’ markets
- Making sure quality & productivity targets for Post-Harvest activities are met
- Providing daily feedback to the Farm Manager on Post-Harvest aspects of the farm
- Ensuring Post-Harvest activities are conducted in compliance with crew safety & food safety standards
- Maintaining clean & organized spaces in the Post-Harvest area and managing inventory of supplies
- Supervising & record-keeping in the Post-Harvest area
This person will mostly work independently on Post-Harvest activities but will also be expected to direct & manage Field Crew members in helping wash & pack produce as needed.
This role is intended for someone with at least 1 year of previous vegetable farming experience.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Challenging yet meaningful work
- A wage review after one month – wage increases are possible based on demonstration of prior experience and/or satisfactory performance
- Some on-farm accommodation available
- Access to farm produce
- A weekly team lunch
- Access to our library of farm books
- Paid sick days
- An end-of-season bonus of $0.50/hour based on total hours worked if you complete your commitment to the farm
- An opportunity to learn about aspects of the farm you won’t regularly be involved with (such as bookkeeping, crop planning and farm finances) at the end of the season
Send your resume to: email@example.com
Deadline: April 15th, 2022
Applications will be reviewed as they are received so don’t delay getting in touch!
Only applicants that are currently legally able to work in Canada need apply.
We look forward to hearing from you,
– Alyssa & David
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org