Plenty Wild Farms in Pemberton, BC is looking for Field Crew members and a Field Lead for the 2021 season & beyond. Come join our team!
ABOUT Plenty Wild Farms
Plenty Wild Farms is a small-scale, certified organic farm committed to providing high-quality veggies to our local communities though our farm stand in Pemberton, an online store and the Squamish farmers’ market. The farm was established in 2013 and this year we plan to grow over 50 different types of vegetables on ~3.5 acres. We are passionate about good food, strong communities, environmental sustainability and soil health.
Our farm is a positive, well-run, organized and safe place to work. We are located just a couple minutes from the Village of Pemberton which has a world-class burger joint, bakery, yoga studios, a wonderful library and more. The Pemberton Valley and surrounding Coast Mountains offer amazing opportunities for hiking, biking & other outdoor activities. We love where we live and are inspired & supported by the close-knit farming community here.
Find out more about us here: www.plentywild.ca
You are punctual, reliable and self-motivated. You are passionate about food & farming and, if applying for the Field Lead position, have previous supervisory & vegetable farming experience. You thrive in a fast-paced environment with hard deadlines and can problem-solve to deal with challenges that may arise. You can hustle and work fast, hard & smart to get the job done but you also pay attention to quality, detail & efficiency. You are committed to excellence and are constantly striving to learn more & improve. You are open-minded, inclusive and respectful. You enjoy being part of a team and can communicate effectively with others. You can take direction, give & receive constructive feedback and ask for help when needed.
POSITIONS AVAILABLE IN 2021
This year we have (3) positions available – (2) Field Crew positions and (1) Field Lead position.
All positions involve physically demanding work (especially on the back and knees) that is often repetitive and performed outdoors in all sorts of weather (from sweltering heat to pouring rain).
QUALIFICATIONS (FOR ALL POSITIONS)
- physically fit; able to bend for long periods of time; able to lift & carry up to 20kg
- must be able to work outdoors in all seasons and in all weather conditions
- able to work quickly & efficiently in a fast-paced environment
- able to work independently and as part of a team with strong communication skills
- an interest in working with us for multiple seasons is desired, but not necessary
(2 positions, starting at $15/hour)
These positions have flexible start & end dates but would ideally start no later than May 3rd, 2021 and end no earlier than October 29th, 2021.
Weekly schedule: Approximately 30-40 hours/week depending on the season; 5 days/week; start/end times vary depending on the season but we always take a 1 hour lunch break
- seed, transplant, irrigate, weed, prune & trellis, harvest, clean, sort & pack crops
- help keep accurate farm records
ADDITIONAL FIELD CREW QUALIFICATIONS
- previous physical labour (such as farming, landscaping and/or tree-planting) and/or sports experience is desired, but not necessary
(1 position, starting at $17/hour)
This position has flexible start & end dates but would ideally start no later than April 5th, 2021 and end no earlier than December 10th, 2021.
Weekly schedule: Approximately 30-50 hours/week depending on the season; 5 days/week; start/end times vary depending on the season but we always take a 1 hour lunch break
This role could lead to an Assistant Manager position in the future.
- seed, transplant, irrigate, weed, prune & trellis, harvest, clean, sort & pack crops as an active member of the Field Crew
- provide daily feedback to the Farm Manager on the field & harvest aspects of the farm
- help supervise the Field Crew, acting as a pace-setter, role model & trainer and making sure that quality & productivity standards are met
- ensure that farm areas & equipment are left in a clean & organized manner at the end of each work day
- verify that accurate farm records are kept by the Field Crew
ADDITIONAL FIELD LEAD QUALIFICATIONS
- a minimum of 1 year of work experience in a supervisory role
- a minimum of 1 year of production-based, vegetable farming experience, though more experience is preferred
- strong observational & organizational skills
- strong communication, interpersonal & leadership skills
WHAT WE OFFER
- Challenging yet meaningful work
- A wage review after one month – wage increases are possible based on demonstration of prior experience or improved performance
- Some on-farm accommodation available
- Access to free veggies
- A weekly team lunch
- Access to our library of farm books
- An end-of-season bonus of $0.50/hour based on total hours worked if you complete a full season (April/May to October)
- An opportunity to learn about aspects of the farm you won’t regularly be involved with (such as bookkeeping, crop planning and farm finances) at the end of the season
Email your resume (including a minimum of two references) to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include a cover letter that outlines:
- which position you are interested in and why
- your relevant experience
- your availability (start/end dates and days of the week)
Deadline: February 15th, 2021
Applications will be reviewed as they are received so don’t delay getting in touch! Only applicants that are currently legally able to work in Canada need apply.
We look forward to hearing from you,
– Alyssa & David
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org