Urban Gardens of Santropol Roulant in Montréal, Québec is seeking a Urban Agriculture Garden Coordinator!
ABOUT Urban Gardens of Santropol Roulant
An key element of the job is working on our rooftop garden. The Roulant’s rooftop garden is a hidden gem in the Plateau that we try to share as much as possible with community members, visitors, and passersby. It is part intensive rooftop garden, part terrace container garden. The walls are covered in murals and honey bees grace us with their buzzing.
The real beauty of the garden is that it is one of the three pillars of our building’s food cycle. A portion of the food grown on the roof is sent to the kitchen for our meal-on-wheels. Kitchen scraps go down to the basement to be composted by our worms and finished compost is then brought back to up to the rooftop garden. It’s by no means a closed loop but it helps reduce the distance our food travels and the amount of waste produced.
In collaboration with government funding partners in youth engagement, we’ve created two season-long job opportunities in our urban agriculture program until mid-October. Under the supervision of the urban agriculture program manager, the selected candidates will have the opportunity to coordinate the urban production sites of Santropol Roulant. This year, we’ll be working at a couple of gardens on different terrain in the Plateau. These roles require some experience with gardening and leading groups, but it also represents an opportunity to deepen one’s knowledge of urban agriculture at the center of a community organization working in food security and social inclusion.
Get ready to immerse yourself in a mindset of gratitude and care, and to embrace uncertainty, nuance and imperfection. We’re a small organization with tons of activity, creativity and big ideas, and we’re focused on connecting people, authentic relating and living our values as best we can. The Roulant treats people as gifts and takes a holistic and welcoming approach to our community of members. Our work culture is process-driven and all about embracing change. You can expect a polyvalent and open approach to all our work. It can be challenging at times, but we’re fortunate to have a workplace filled with a lot of love and care, and to be surrounded by a network of supporters that champion this effervescent and rich community project. Imagine organizing bike caravans of volunteers to the farm in the west Island, or delivering bouquets to our community members through the rain, or running our meals on wheels service to our community of clients, five days a week without exception. The Roulant is always rolling, there’s never a dull moment, and we can’t do it without you!
- 1-2 years experience in the field of urban agriculture or equivalent
- 1-2 years of experience working with volunteers, in arts or culture or equivalent
- A strong sense of initiative, the capacity to work independently, and to assume responsibility
- Comfort with doing physical work outside in a variety of changing weather conditions
- Available to work the weekends in line with the needs of the season
- Spoken bilingualism is a requirement (English and French), and strong writing skills in both languages an asset
- Experience working with children, seniors or people living with disabilities an asset
- Creative ability an asset
- The candidate must be between the ages of 15 and 30, and be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident or have refugee status.
- Determine the priorities and execute the general maintenance tasks of the crops (watering, seedlings, transplants, direct seeding, weeding, pest control and thinning).
- Harvest, condition, distribute and store vegetables.
- Create and animate educational workshops on food security, gardening techniques and the environment.
- Coordinate the volunteer shifts and support volunteers according to their needs so they may contribute to our shared work in the gardens.
- Work towards accessibility and inclusion in all of our activities.
- Participate in potential activities connected to community agriculture.
- Participate in the daily life of Santropol Roulant, including some group meetings
- Supporting those tasks connected to the good functioning of the urban agriculture program.
Term: This is a full-time position, beginning in early May and running until mid-October
Hours per week: 28
Wage: $17.43 per hour
Please apply by visiting the following weblink:
Deadline to apply: May 3rd, 2021
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org