Ignatius Jesuit Centre in Guelph, Ontario is seeking Farm Associates for the 2022 season!
ABOUT Ignatius Jesuit Centre
Interested in regenerative agriculture? Join the Ignatius Farm located just north of Guelph Ontario!
Ignatius Farm, an integral part of the Ignatius Jesuit Centre, is a community organic training farm. The farm grows certified organic produce for Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) members, farmers’ markets, local businesses and service agencies. Programs include community gardens, community orchard, acreage rentals, internships and farmer training, working shares, volunteer opportunities, and seasonal community events.
- Knowledge and/or hands on in gardening, ecological farming, greenhouse production, or other field work; use of basic tools
- Commitment to ecological farming practices, Health & Safety mindfulness, working outside in all weather, working as a cohesive team, and building community
- Basic math & customer service skills
- Assets: Valid G class drivers licence, First Aid/CPR
- Lead teams of interns, volunteers, and field workers to grow excellent quality produce
- Farm Associates leadership areas include:
- Field Lead – Staff & Production coordination; Field Inventories & field logs; Harvest Management; Post-Harvest handling; curing, storage & packing; Soil fertility
- Field equipment operations & machinery care
- Berry production & U-pick management
- Indoor Production – seedlings, microgreens, in-ground crops
- Sales & crop distribution: CSA, Wholesale and retail sales, Farmers Market
- Community programs – Community Gardens, Community Orchard, CSA pick-ups, Field days
- Orchard care
- Plant, transplant, weed, harvest and clean vegetables per Organic and Food Safety protocols
- Provide wonderful customer service for CSA, U-pick berries, and markets
- Utilize and maintain tools, equipment, and structures safely, according to training provided
- Log activities and contribute to system improvements
- Support farm training and community programs, seasonal events, media outreach
Term: Contract: May 2 – August 31
Hours per week: 40 hours/week average; evening or weekend work may be required
Wage: $2,725/month; small CSA share
Submit resume and letter of interest with funding eligibility to firstname.lastname@example.org
Your letter of interest must specify:
- Which funding criteria you meet (see below)
- Relevant expertise
Positions may be funded through the EcoCanada SWILP program or other funding.
EcoCanada SWILP program-specific criteria:
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or refugee status. (Students on a work permit or visa are not eligible for SWILP)
- Current post-secondary student studying in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, or Math (STEAM) or Business
Go to https://www.eco.ca/swilp/studentquiz.aspx to become pre-approved for the EcoCanada Student Work-Integrated Learning Program (SWILP).
Eligibility for other funding may include:
- Have a valid SIN number
- 30 years old or younger
The Ignatius Jesuit Centre (IJC) aspires to be an equitable and inclusive place where a diversity of life experiences, identities and perspectives work together. IJC encourages applicants from all walks of life, especially those from communities that have been historically excluded from farming or access to farmland. We apply an anti-oppression framework to our work and have a zero tolerance policy for discrimination and harassment.
We thank all applicants in advance; only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Deadline to apply: March 9, 2022
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Ignatius Jesuit Centre