Glorious Organics co-operative in Aldergrove, BC is seeking Farm crew members!
ABOUT Glorious Organics co-operative
Glorious Organics is a 5-acre, certified organic and salmon-safe farm in Aldergrove, BC. We are cooperatively owned and situated on the 20-acre Fraser Common Farm Co-op (FCFC), a housing cooperative where many of the Glorious Organics farmers live, along with individuals and families not directly connected to daily farm operations. We are honoured to be able to live, grow, and work on the unceded traditional and ancestral lands of the Kwantlen First Nation.
Glorious Organics is one of the first certified organic farms in the Fraser Valley and has been in operation since 1986 (as a cooperative since 2006). We grow a wide range of seasonal greens, vegetables, and fruits for sale to Vancouver’s top restaurants, farmers markets, food hubs, and through a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program. We also produce seeds for sale through the BC Eco Seed Coop which is located on our property.
We grow certified organic food that is nutritious and delicious while supporting sustainable food systems in BC. We do so with respect for the land, water, and communities that surround us – this means that we practice sustainable and regenerative agriculture techniques that foster healthy soil, water, and ecosystem health. Our team values inclusivity, cooperation, communication, and community, and this is reflected in our cooperative business model. We celebrate that many of our prior staff have gone on to continue their own successful organic farming journeys with many coming back to us for multiple seasons!
Glorious Organics and the FCFC are committed to a zero tolerance policy on any discrimination, harassment or bullying regarding race, sex, disability, gender, age, sexual orientation, beliefs, and socio-economic background. We actively uphold the right of every individual within our community to be treated with dignity and respect.
Field Crew Qualifications:
- Strong work ethic, communication and interpersonal skills
- A positive attitude and motivated to learn and improve
- Some experience with/knowledge of plants (farm or garden) strongly preferred
- Physical and mental endurance (able to work standing, kneeling, bending, lifting repeatedly, some heavy lifting up to 20kg/45lbs)
- Love for the outdoors, experience and/or willingness to work in variable weather conditions (sun, rain, mud, heat)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, with various levels of supervision
- Proficiency in basic veggie math (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division)
- Efficient, reliable, consistent, and punctual
- Must be able to commit to completing the farm season
- Must be a Canadian citizen or hold a valid work visa
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Bed preparation and composting
- Weeding (by hand or using hand tools)
- Harvesting and carting produce
- Cleaning, sorting, and packing produce with an eye for quality and consistency
- Chicken care (collecting, cleaning eggs, coop maintenance)
- Basic irrigation set up and maintenance
- Field record keeping
- Ongoing maintenance and attention to the cleanliness and function of the work environment
- Arriving punctual and prepared to work
- Displaying good self-care and a proactive attitude
- Potential additional tasks (if needed): seeding, restaurant deliveries, farmers market
- Field crew will be expected to provide their own farm attire including boots, rain gear, sunhats, water bottle, gloves, and clothes. All farm tools will be provided.
* We want you to be a great farmer, and hopefully return for another season. There are possible opportunities for leadership tasks for candidates with sufficient experience. If this is of interest please indicate so in your application.*
Term: Desired start dates:
(Approx) April 25 – October 31, 2022 (1 Position, Cabin rental for this position available)
(Approx) June 1 – September 31, 2022 (1 Position)
(Approx) June 1 – August 31 (1 position)
Hours per week: Work Days/Hours:
40h/week with the likely possibility of 45-50h/week during peak season (July, August, September)
Start times vary from 7:00-9:00 AM depending on daylight and anticipated temperatures.
Compensation and Perks:
We offer a wage at $16.00/hr plus 4% vacation pay with up to 5 paid sick days.
On-site perks: access to free fruit and vegetables for your own consumption, fire-burning sauna, onsite wild spaces, ‘fun field’ access for games and bonfires, community living, and FCFC community events! We are a community of foodie-oriented people always learning and sharing techniques, recipes, and food together!
Applicants should consider the limited availability of public transit in Aldergrove/Langley. Access to a reliable car will make your life much more enjoyable on the farm.
We highly recommend reviewing this guide to working on farms when considering farm work.
Interested applicants should send a resume (including references) and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Attn: Mark. You can also visit our website gloriousorganics.com
Please highlight your interests and what drew you to this job posting.
Qualified applicants will be contacted with a preference to those able to visit the farm for an in-person interview.
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Glorious Organics co-operative