So you wanna be a rock star farmer? Earth Apple Farm, in Abbotsford, BC, is looking for two new farm hands for 2020!
About Earth Apple Farm
We are a 5-6 acre certified organic mixed fruit, vegetables, and laying hens. Located in beautiful Glen Valley near the Fraser River. We are on a 50 acre land co-operative, shared with another farm operation. We operate two farmers markets in Vancouver, a 150+ member CSA, and other wholesale opportunities. I hope you love garlic, cause we are growing a lot of it this year!
Shirlene has been market farming for 10 years and has been operating Earth Apple Farm not only because she loves working outside, growing and eating the best fruits and vegetable, and getting to play with all the animals; but she also has a deep passion for local food production and supporting new farmers. Ask her to look at her spread sheets!
Mike has partnered with Shirlene Earth Apple Farm new this year and is excited to expand his knowledge base and learn some new things. He has been farming small scale (1.5 acre) for the last 10 years on Vancouver Island and is looking forward to scaling up production. Ask him about the world of garlic and be prepared to stay awhile.
We are looking for your basic farmer requirements.
- Hard working
- Attention to detail
- Ability to competently act through a task while thinking about future production methods.
- Farming is a lot of systems interconnected, so it important for people to be constantly thinking about the farm systems and how things connect.
- Asking good questions and for clarification when unsure.
- A strong body with knowledge of good ergonomics to keep it strong.
- The ideal candidate has experience in fieldwork and/or outdoor labour. Ideally you have worked on another farm for at least one season.
- Ability to work in environments that might be cold, wet, hot, repetitive, early mornings, and long days.
- Clear, honest, non violent, non oppressive communication is very important.
We are looking for someone to work with us on everything from harvesting, washing and packing fruit and veg, planting, weeding, bed prep, berry picking, tomato pruning and everything outside and in between! We move at a quick pace and get the job done as a crew, although there is some independent work at times too. Looking to get your hands dirty? Want to put that systems thinking into play? Enjoy a good hard days work? Wanna geek out over fruit and veg?
Term: Start date is April 1 to October 31.
Weekly Hours: Full time – 35+ hours per week.
Wage: $13.85/hr ($14.60/hr beginning June 1, 2020)
Accommodation: There is accommodations available on the farm for affordable rent.
To apply please send your resume by email and a one-page cover letter clearly stating why you want to work at Earth Apple Organic Farm, as well as your suitability for the position based on your education, experience, skills and qualifications. Please pdf your submission into one document (example: farmer_Jane.pdf) We will also require 2-3 character and work experience references. Email to Earthapplefarm@gmail.com
Learn more about Earth Apple Farm: