FortWhyte Farms in Winnipeg, Manitoba is seeking an Operations Assistant for the 2021 season!
ABOUT FortWhyte Farms
FortWhyte Farms, an educational facility designed to grow youth, food and community. The Farm Assistant role helps raise and maintain the agricultural aspects of the farm while engaging and educating youth from diverse socio-economic backgrounds in sustainable agriculture, community development through hands-on learning.
FortWhyte farm is a small scale farm about 1.5 acres. We grow mixed vegetables and herbs, our farm is considered an Urban farm in Winnipeg, Manitoba and we use minimal equipment (small tractor) and hand tools. We have a 60 member CSA operation and a small farmers market at Forwhyte Alive.
FortWhyte Farms bridges communities, creates learning and employment opportunities for youth, and grows healthy food for our community. As a social enterprise, our bottom line goes beyond financial gain to include social and economic benefits that impact the lives of individuals, families, and communities.
We are not certified organic, but strive to run a production with out any harmful chemicals and use sustainable practices like soil amending, composting and crop rotations.
- Experience in small-scale farming (horticulture and/or pastured livestock)
- Physically fit and capable of manual, outdoor labour with animals and bees
- Flexible work schedule (some evenings and weekends)
- Experience working with underserved and diverse youth
- Excellent customer service
- Ability to work independently/ self-directed, as well as in a team
- Demonstrated dedication and commitment to the work of FortWhyte Farms and the mission and mandate of FortWhyte Alive
- Demonstrated work ethic, motivation and leadership
- Thoughtful, respectful and hard-working
- Outgoing and adaptable
- Leadership & Mentorship of Youth Participants: In the course of performing job duties related to farm operations, the Operations Assistant will provide leadership, guidance and training to diverse youth.
- Act as a role model and mentor by providing feedback to youth interns while performing assigned agricultural tasks
- Greenhouse: Perform needed tasks in the greenhouse, including watering, pest control, transplanting, fertilizing, pest management, pruning and other routine maintenance tasks
- Horticulture: Assist with weeding, harvesting, seeding, transplanting, watering 2 acres of ecological gardens.
- Pastured Livestock: Attend to daily needs and wellbeing of laying hens, broilers, rabbits and pigs including feeding and watering, moving pens or pasture location, cleanliness, fencing, shelters and transportation of livestock to abattoir
- Food Product Sales: Harvest, wash, package and display vegetables and/or value-added food items for sale at our weekly Market and CSA share pick-ups. The
- Operations Assistant provides excellent customer service to customers and visitors, in addition to handling cash, inventory and sales.
- Landscaping: Maintain appearance of building and grounds of FortWhyte Farms, including operating lawn mower and/or weed trimmer, watering outdoor plants and flower beds
- General Maintenance & Sweep, mop and tidy all facilities within Farm Headquarters, Garage, Barn, Greenhouse, Tool Sheds and outbuildings as per cleaning schedule
- Remove organic waste, garbage and recycling from building as needed.
Term: April 15th-October 5th, 2021
Hours per week: 37.5 hours per week, mostly week days, on a rare occasion on the weekend
Wage: $14.25 per hour
Will need both a resume and a cover letter firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: February 28th, 2021
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT FortWhyte Farms