Ravine Creek Farm in Winlaw, BC is looking for Field Crew members and a Field Lead for the 2022 season & beyond.
Come join our team!
About Ravine Creek Farm
In operation since 2010, Ravine Creek Farm is a 3 acre, certified organic market vegetable farm located in the Slocan Valley, BC – We sell our produce at the Nelson, BC Farmer’s Market, at our farmstand, and our CSA program serving 30 members. Our farm is Certified Organic and in 2019 we began the transition to no-till. Currently we have about 80% of our production in no-till. We grow 1.5 acres of vegetables and 1.5 acres of grass hay. We are passionate farmers who love what we do and are excited to share our knowledge with others as well as creating a strong sense of community both within our farm team and beyond into the greater community. Our business is committed to ensuring a safe and positive work environment for all team members.
Ideally you have previous related experience – (e.g. farming, landscaping, tree planting, working in a produce department etc.) but most importantly, you are enthusiastic about organic farming. You can lead by example; you can hustle; you are passionate about great quality, local food; you thrive in a process orientated, fast paced environment. You have strong organizational skills and have the ability to multitask. You like to work hard and get the job done, but you also recognize the need for balance in your life. You are tuned into the small stuff: quality, detail and efficiency. You enjoy being part of a team and can communicate effectively with team members.
You must have a wide tolerance of diverse physical conditions, our farming season stretches from the cold of early spring though the heat of summer and on into the wet and cold of fall. Work days involve plenty of walking, lifting, bending and squatting.
We will review applications as they are received and begin interviews the week of January 17th, so we suggest applying ASAP if you are interested.
- some related experience or demonstrated interest in farming
- A minimum of 1 year field management (not necessarily as a supervisor, but as a senior hand with independent responsibilities) in vegetable farming
- Strong communication, interpersonal and leadership skills
- High attention to detail
- Ability to work fast paced and flexible for changing needs
- Proficiency in basic veggie math (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division)
- Open-minded, inclusive, and respectful.
- Ability to give and take constructive feedback in supervisory role
- Ability to work independently with various levels of supervision
- Physically capable of carrying out tasks which require the ability to bend for long periods of time, lift up to 20Kg.
- Ability to commit to a flexible work schedule with some extended hours and weekend work.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all seasons and in all weather conditions.
- 2-3 positions available
- Part time or full time positions 20 – 40 hrs/week
- Starting at $16/hour
- Ideally, we’re looking for two people to work from the start of May to the end of October, and one person to work from the start of June to the end of August. Some flexibility is available for the right fit.
- Field Crew members will be involved in seeding, planting, irrigating, weeding, pruning & trellising, harvesting, cleaning & packing a wide variety of crops and helping keep accurate farm records.
- 1 position available
- Approximately 20-40 hours/week depending on availability/interest.
- Starting wage is $18/hr
- A wage review after one month – wage increases are possible based on demonstration of prior experience and/or great performance. Good work is recognized and compensated!
- Ideally, we’re looking for one person to work from early April to late October. Some flexibility is available for the right fit.
- Field Lead, while working as part of the regular field crew will have additional independent responsibility in planting, crop maintenance, weeding and harvesting and some supervisory duties of other crew members
All positions receive WCB coverage, vacation pay, and abundant veggies from the farm for personal consumption.
Please note we have NO accommodations available at our farm
Please send a brief cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
Learn more about Ravine Creek Farm