Rock’s End Farm in Wakefield, Quebec is seeking a Grazing Assistant for the 2021 season!
ABOUT Rock’s End Farm
Rock’s End Farm is a 300 acre, certified organic farm located in the heart of the Gatineau Hills in west Quebec. We raise sheep for wool and meat, beef cattle, dairy cattle (for home dairy consumption), pastured pork, and pastured poultry.
We use regenerative and organic practices to ensure that our farm enhances water quality, biodiversity, and soil health. We use adaptive grazing management and incorporate silvopasture into our grazing system. We provide our products to the public via farmgate sales, home-delivery, and sales at the farmers’ market and craft fairs. Pre-Covid we also hosted a number of on-farm events, tours, and workshops and may restart some of these activities later in the season depending on public health regulations.
Our certified organic, regenerative farm is a lively environment rich in learning opportunities. Through partnerships, we work together with other local farmers to create a more resilient local food economy. You will have the chance to participate in regular grazing tours and farmer-to-farmer learning opportunities on other area farms as well as to make use of our extensive library of resources on regenerative farming.
On-farm accommodation is available for rent in newer, fully-serviced RV: all of the amenities, plus a great view. There are also rental accommodation options in the surrounding community. You can read more about our farm on our website, www.RocksEndFarm.ca, or check out our farm Facebook and Instagram accounts by searching #RocksEndFarm.
We are looking for somebody who:
- Is keenly interested in organic, regenerative, livestock-based agriculture.
- Possesses a high level of personal integrity, responsibility for self, and a strong work ethic.
- Is capable of working independently for long periods of time.
- Has a valid drivers’ license and transportation to/from the farm.
- Works safely and efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Will enjoy working outside, on rugged terrain, in all weather conditions.
- Has the ability to carry up to 60 lbs.
- Has great organizational and spatial visualization skills.
- Works well in teams.
- Previous experience working on a farm is an asset.
We value your insights and contributions as a key member of the farm team. Once you’ve learned how to do your job, you’ll be largely managing your own system – you will need to plan your own work and tasks in the way that makes most sense for you, for the grass, and for the animals and for the farm as a whole. This means you need to have a high degree of personal integrity, self-motivation, focus, and the ability to work independently. While your grazing work will be largely independent, you will also work together with the farm owners and part-time employees or volunteers on other farm projects. We work hard but we also have fun!
Rock’s End Farm practices employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. We embrace diversity in all its forms and commit to maintaining a work environment that is welcoming for all.
This job is part of the Canada’s Youth Employment and Skills Program and as such to be eligible for this position, candidates must be:
- Between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- A Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or refugee and
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada
As the Grazing Assistant, you will spend the majority of your time with the sheep, the cows, and the poultry. Your core areas of responsibility will be implementing the grazing rotation. To do this you will first learn how to assess the livestock and their pastures in the context of our regenerative farming system. The movement of the animals depends on a variety of factors and you will learn how to assess these, plan accordingly, and implement the moves.
You will also help with other farm tasks, including but not limited to assisting with:
- Animal care procedures, calving and lambing
- Hay harvest
- Demolition of old fences and installation of new permanent fencing
- Installation and maintenance of livestock water system
- Shelterbelt maintenance and brushing out fencelines
- Cleaning out winter shelters
- Loading/unloading animals for transport during butcher season
- General farm maintenance and cleanup
- Packing orders and managing inventory
- Customer service at farmers’ markets, farmgate sales, and on-farm events
Term: May – November
Hours per week: 35-40 hours/week
Wage: $15.00 per hour
Send your resume and cover letter by email, outlining why you would like to work for us and how you meet the qualifications to: Erin Krekoski at erin@RocksEndFarm.ca
We will continue to accept applications until a suitable candidate is found.
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Rock’s End Farm