Rock’s End Farm in Wakefield, QC is looking for an Organic Farm Worker – Grazing Assistant for the 2020 season!
ABOUT Rock’s End Farm
Rock’s End Farm is a certified organic farm providing sustainably raised sheep for wool and meat, beef cattle, dairy cattle (for home dairy consumption), pastured pork, and poultry. We provide our products to the public via farm gate sales, home-delivery, and sales at the farmers’ market and craft fairs (some of these cancelled for 2020 due to COVID-19).
We use regenerative and organic practices to ensure that our farm enhances water quality, biodiversity, and soil health.
Our farm is a lively environment rich in learning opportunities. Through partnerships, we work together with other local farmers to create a more resilient local food economy.
We are looking for somebody who:
- Is keenly interested in organic, regenerative, livestock-based agriculture.
- Possesses a high level of personal integrity, responsibility for self, and a strong work ethic.
- Has transportation to/from the farm.
- Works safely and efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Is prepared to work outside, on rugged terrain, in all weather conditions.
- Has the ability to carry up to 40 lbs.
- Has great organizational and spatial visualization skills.
- Can work well with others or independently.
- Previous experience working on a farm is an asset.
As the Organic Farm Worker – Grazing Assistant on our certified organic farm, you will spend much of your time with our flock of Icelandic sheep, our small herd of Angus cows, and our poultry. You will learn how to keep these animals healthy and well cared for while also regenerating the soil through grazing management. You will be bringing the animals to fresh pasture daily by moving fencing and water, assessing the pasture and planning the movement of the paddocks to ensure that the animals always have everything that they need: feed, water, shade, mineral, safety, low stress. You will learn how to assess the livestock and their pastures in a regenerative farming system. You will also help at times with other farm tasks, including but not limited to: assisting with the hay harvest, assisting with the establishment and care of newly planted trees, assist with farm maintenance and fencing. We will value your insights and contributions as a key member of the farm team.
- Observe animals, take note of condition of the animals and the forage
- Move the animals to fresh grass on a regular basis
- Assist with animal care procedures
- Take photographs of the animals and land for social media purposes
- Assist with hay harvest (no machinery operation)
- Assist with establishment and care of shelterbelt (trees)
- Assist with farm maintenance including fencing, farm building repairs, and farm cleanup
- Assist with on-farm public events
Term: 8 week position starting immediately
Hours: 35 hours per week
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more about Rock’s End Farm