Northstar Organics in Victoria, BC is seeking Organic Farm Staff!
ABOUT Northstar Organics
Northstar Organics is a 10 acre certified organic farm growing greenhouse vegetables, field vegetables and berries. We are located at 2200 Bear Hill Rd in Central Saanich. The farm operates year around by using heated greenhouses and the mild climate of Victoria to always be producing food. All produce is sold in the Victoria area through farmers markets and to Victoria restaurants and small stores.
Our goal is to grow healthy food in a sustainable way that generates enough income to provide decent wages for local staff.
- This is a good opportunity for anyone wanting to learn about small scale organic food production
- Experience in farming or other outdoor physical work is an asset
- Good physical fitness and stamina – lots of bending, crouching, and lifting required
- Ability to do repetitive tasks quickly and precisely, and in all weather conditions
- Keenness to improve efficiency in all our systems and processes
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
Working together with the other farm staff to tend to and harvest the field and greenhouse produce. This includes planting, cultivating, pruning, harvesting and packing produce. The farm grows many different crops so there are many varied tasks through the week.
Interested employees can also work at farmers’ markets.
We are hiring for multiple positions.
Term: All positions go until at least late October or later for interested employees.
Hours per week: Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, for a total of 37.5 hours per week. Employees wanting to work farmer’s market usually skip a day at the farm each week and attend the market instead (Thursday evening or Saturday morning).
For anyone wanting only part-time work, we have one position available helping with the two farmers markets we attend each week. Thursdays 3:30pm to 8pm, and Saturdays 8:30am to 2:30 pm.
Wage: Compensation is $17.50/hr to start.
If interested in this position, please send us an email to northstarorganicswork@gmail.
- Why would you make a good fit for the role (General Farm Crew or part-time Market Assistant) at Northstar Organics?
- What previous experience(s) you have in farming (if applicable)
Thanks for your interest in working at our farm!
Deadline to apply: June 20 2023
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org