Lifecycles, in Victoria, BC is seeking a Fruit Tree Care Specialist!
ABOUT THIS OPPORTUNITY:
LifeCycles is a charitable society working to cultivate community health by connecting people with the food they eat and the land it comes from. We support the region in growing, accessing and eating local food in ways that foster biodiversity and enhance our urban environment.
Since 2018 LifeCycles has offered a specialized Fruit Tree Care Service to help local tree owners better take care of their little piece of Greater Victoria’s urban orchard. Our specialty is Restoration Pruning, which is a multi-step process to rejuvenate old or overgrown trees. We also offer hand-on education sessions, called Prune Alongs, where tree owners learn the basics of fruit tree pruning on their own trees. Ours is a mindful, tree-first service, run by a group of fruit tree enthusiasts working to preserve the region’s fruit tree legacy for the future.
We are currently looking for someone to join our Fruit Tree Care team. We’re looking for someone with a passion for fruit trees, and a willingness to learn the arts of pruning. Direct experience with fruit trees is an asset, as is a background in horticulture, landscaping or agriculture, but most importantly we’re looking for a dependable person with a very strong work ethic who cares about a job well done. A good sense of humor is pretty great too. This is a small but mighty team, so flexibility is a quality that is greatly desired in an applicant. Wait, did we mention that we love trees! Potential to be re-hired in a permanent position, with benefits and wage increase. Learn more about our work at lifecyclesproject.ca
- Pruning a wide variety of fruit trees (lots of apples), grapes, and kiwis
- Fruit Tree Care education (aka Prune Along sessions)
- Driving to and from work sites (with company van, or your own vehicle at times)
- Removal of prunings
- Driving our large company van (experience with a trailer is an asset)
- Help out at Welland Orchard or with the Fruit Tree Project when necessary
- Act as representative of LifeCycles within the community
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Methodical and detail oriented
- Strong organizational skills for keeping track of instructions and schedules
- Able to reliably commute to the various work sites
- Open to working some weekends
- Knowledge of or interest in fruit tree care
- Experience working in a physically demanding setting
- Willingness to work hard for the satisfaction of a job well done in all weather conditions
- Must have a valid Driver’s License
- Awareness of food security issues and sustainability on Vancouver Island and in BC
Start date: Mid June 2022
Hours/week: 30 hrs/week for 10 weeks (extension pending funding)
Wage: $19.50 -$ 22.00 / hour
Work Conditions: Heavy lifting, working in all weather conditions, climbing tall ladders, working sometimes at 20ft, sawing and pruning trees overhead for an extended period, able to stand for long periods of time.
All work will be conducted with adherence to current COVID-19 safety protocols.
Funding for this position is provided by Canada Summer Jobs. Applicants must be between 15-30 years of age to be eligible.
Send applications by email to email@example.com by Monday, May 30, 2022
Please email your application resume and cover letter (ideally as one pdf) with the subject line: “Fruit Tree Care Specialist”. **Please include your last name in the filename(s) of your application materials.**
LifeCycles Project Society is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage women, people of Indigenous ancestry, people of colour, LGBTQQIP2SA individuals and members of other diverse communities to apply for careers with our organization. LifeCycles runs programs on unceded Coast Salish Territories, specifically of the Lekwungen and W_SÁNEC peoples.
We thank everyone for their interest, but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org