City’s Edge Farm in Victoria, BC is seeking a Farm Hand!
ABOUT City’s Edge Farm
City’s Edge Farm is a tiny, but ambitious farm producing over 40 varieties of vegetables, herbs, berries and flowers. The farm is located on leased land in a rural neighbourhood just outside the urban containment boundary of Victoria, within biking or bussing distance of downtown. The farm is maintained using manual farm tools and a walk behind tractor. Produce is sold and distributed through a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture), a small weekly farm stand, as well as a couple small wholesale channels.
City’s Edge was started with a land stewardship at its heart. Produce is grown using a mix of organic, permaculture and experimental techniques, with healthy soil as the primary goal for producing healthy crops.
A great farm hand:
- Has the enthusiasm and ability to do manual labour 6-9 hours/day in all kinds of weather, including bending, crouching, kneeling or standing for long periods of time.
- Will challenge their self to work efficiently and quickly to meet the demands of a commercial farm.
- Is excited to learn how to farm and has a willingness to learn new skills.
- Has the ability to work in tight spaces and spatial/body awareness (for example: ability to be working with your hands while not stepping on the plants behind you…this is a tiny farm and space is tight!).
- Has the ability to stay focussed on routine tasks
- Pays attention to detail and is able to follow instructions and accept feedback.
- Has a willingness to follow safety procedures, which may include wearing a respirator if we are experiencing wildfire smoke.
Tasks will primarily include:
- Weed control (by hand and with manual farm tools).
- Bed clearing and raking for planting.
- Pruning, trellising, mulching and other crop maintenance
- Harvesting, cleaning and packaging produce for distribution
- General cleanup of worksite at the end of each task.
Term: This is a full-time 3 month position, starting immediately.
Hours per week: 30-40 hours/week, 3 month term, Monday – Friday. Schedule to be negotiated with employer.
Wage: Pay: $16/hour, paid biweekly. 4% vacation pay is included with biweekly paycheque. Farm workers do not receive overtime or statutory holiday pay.
Please provide a resume and 2 references that may be contacted to email@example.com
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT City’s Edge Farm