River and Sea Flowers in Vancouver/Ladner, BC is seeking a Farm Crew member!
ABOUT River and Sea Flowers
River and Sea Flowers is a small family farm growing certified organic cut flowers on beautiful Westham Island in Delta BC, just 30 km from Vancouver. Established on shared family land in 2016, we grow a huge diversity of flowers on just over an acre, split between the field and a few stationary, rolling and heated hoop houses. Our harvest season goes from April right through to November.
We attend farmer’s markets in Vancouver, supply florists and a farm gate stand, run a CSA bouquet program and supply bulk buckets of flowers to special events. We are focused on growing high quality cut flowers in an efficient and ecologically responsible way, and use both tractors and hand tools to get the job done. Our team of 4-6 people work hard, get dirty and enjoy the reward of bringing beautiful organic flowers to the world.
We are committed to bringing local sustainable cut flowers to consumers. This means that we celebrate unique blooms that are naturally scented, freshly picked and grown with methods supporting local biodiversity over those grown and shipped from across the globe and treated with environmentally questionable practices. We are proud to be certified organic!
The ideal candidate will have some previous agricultural experience such as mixed vegetable production or diverse cut flower production. You will be trained in many aspects of sustainable cut flower production.
The ideal candidate:
- has an interest in local sustainable cut flower production
- is self-motivated and works efficiently
- is hard working and able to work in all outside conditions: wind, rain, heat, cold, mud, dust as well as beautiful sunny days
- is physically fit and capable of plenty of bending, lifting, kneeling and standing
- is able to follow detailed instructions and complete tasks in a timely manner
- is available to work weekends
Members of the farm team will have a hand in all aspects of crop production: weeding, seeding, planting, harvesting, packing and preparing cut flowers for sale as well as other
general farm tasks including the specific duties below:
- Accurately filling out detailed records which include planting and harvesting logs
- Ensuring relevant procedures regarding organic certification are being met
- Ensuring crops are handled and allocated correctly in post-harvest
- Upholding farm policies and procedures which include farm safety
- Being available to attend some Saturday or Sunday farmers markets as lead or in a support role
Please see the full job description here: https://7e46fc99-5db0-4154-9da4-0efa7dae80d9.filesusr.com/ugd/d69fea_26575516ce274a0fb531081b09cc3b3c.pdf
This is a full-time position, beginning immediately. It’s 4-5 days a week until the end of September. Work days are expected to be Tuesday to Friday on the farm as well as helping at farmer’s markets in Vancouver on a weekend day, roughly every other week.
Wage: Hourly wage is $16.50 to $17.75. We also offer a 45 minute lunch break and excess flowers to take home.
Please apply via email to Rachel at email@example.com with your resume and a cover letter outlining your previous experience, availability, desired position and any other relevant details. We look forward to hearing from you!
Deadline to apply: Hiring is ongoing until position is filled
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org