Fresh Roots Urban Farm Society in Vancouver & Delta, BC is seeking a Farm and Market Worker!
ABOUT Fresh Roots Urban Farm Society
Our schoolyard farms produce good food for the community, empower youth through vocational skills development, and serve as hands-on outdoor classrooms for students. In this key role, the Farm and Market Worker will be responsible for supporting the effective running of our bi-weekly produce markets, as well as production on our farm site in Delta. You will work with the Good Food team to support our educational farms towards our production, sales and educational goals. If you love seeing food you grew from seed go into the hands of customers, organizing teams and systems, and working with youth, this is the position for you!
We believe in Good Food for All! Everyone should have access to healthy food, land, and community. We work toward this vision by cultivating and stewarding engaging schoolyard farms, gardens, and programs that catalyze healthy eating, ecological stewardship, and community celebration.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Experience leading teams of peers and youth
- 1-2 year experience in farming, with market experience an asset
- Organization and whole-picture thinking
- Skillful in welcoming customer service
- Patience, flexibility, and a sense of humour
- Able to pass a criminal record check to be able to work with children and vulnerable populations
- Must meet Canada Summer Jobs Requirements (be between the ages of 15 and 30 at the start of employment, be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or to whom refugee protection has been conferred, and be legally entitled to work in Canada)
- Must have a BC Driver’s License Type 5 and be able to drive a large pickup with a trailer.
- Access to a vehicle for commute to Delta or Vancouver
- Enjoys working in a grassroots non-profit with a diverse group of people
- Able to work independently and as part of a small team
- Able to organize, multi-task, prioritize duties, problem-solve and remain flexible within a fast-paced and changing environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills across various mediums
- Focus on customer service
- Assist the Farm Manager in growing Good Food on school grounds: crop production, field maintenance, and harvesting
- Lead our Wednesday and Saturday farmer’s markets
- Lead CSA pickup
- Maintain market tents, tables, scales, cash box, float and iPad
- Assist the Field Lead in Delta farm production
- Work alongside the Market Lead to organize and upkeep the walk-in cooler, dry storage, produce inventory, cull rotation, food donations and totes
- Work alongside the Market Lead to track and report market sales to the Farm Manager
- Lead and teach youth at market and on the farm, creating a supportive atmosphere guided by anti-oppression values
Term: Full-time summer position
Immediate start date in May to end of August, Tuesday – Saturday
Hours per week: 40 hours per week
Wage: $16.50 – $18.75 per hour
Apply directly through the link: https://freshroots.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=34 with a short cover letter (500 words max) and resume. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Fresh Roots is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
We regret that due to the high volume of applicants only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Deadline to apply: ASAP
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org