River and Sea Flowers in Vancouver, BC is seeking a part-time Farm Crew member!
ABOUT River and Sea Flowers
River and Sea Flowers is a small family farm growing certified organic cut flowers on beautiful Westham Island in Delta BC, just 30 km from Vancouver. Established on shared family land in 2016, we grow a huge diversity of flowers on just over an acre, split between the field and a few stationary, rolling and heated hoop houses. Our harvest season goes from April right through to November.
We attend farmer’s markets, supply florists and a farm gate stand, run a CSA bouquet program, supply bulk buckets of flowers to special events and offer designed floral work for weddings. We are focused on growing high quality cut flowers in an efficient and ecologically responsible way, and use both tractors and hand tools to get the job done. Our team of 3-5 people work hard, get dirty and enjoy the reward of bringing beautiful organic flowers to the world.
We are committed to bringing local sustainable cut flowers to consumers. This means that we celebrate unique blooms that are naturally scented, freshly picked and grown with methods supporting local biodiversity over those grown and shipped from across the globe and treated with environmentally questionable practices.
Our farm is certified organic and we are proud to be a part of the Slow Flowers movement.
The ideal candidate:
- has an interest in local sustainable cut flower production
- is self-motivated and works efficiently
- is hard working and able to work in all outside conditions: wind, rain, heat, cold, mud, dust as well as beautiful sunny days
- is physically fit and capable of plenty of bending, lifting, kneeling and standing
- is able to follow detailed instructions and complete tasks in a timely manner
- is available to work weekends
The ideal candidate will have some previous agricultural experience such as mixed vegetable production or diverse cut flower production, though inexperienced applicants are welcome to apply and will be trained in many aspects of sustainable cut flower production.
It is partly funded by the Canada Summer Jobs Program.
Eligible applicants must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Duties will involve planting, harvesting, weeding, packing and preparing cut flowers for sale as well as other general farm tasks. The candidate may also be assisting with a Saturday or Sunday farmer’s market or performing sales at our farm stand.
Term: This position start mid June and runs until early to mid September.
Hours per week: This position is for 24 hours a week. Work days will typically be Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, though some flexibility is required.
Wage: Minimum starting wage is $15.25 per hour (+ 4% vacation pay). We offer a small produce patch for you to pick from for personal use after hours, a 45 minute lunch break and a farm work environment shared with two other organic farm operations. You will also be able to take home flowers to share, enjoy for yourself or to hang and dry.
Please see our complete job description document on our website before applying.
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to Rachel at email@example.com
Deadline to apply: ASAP!
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT River and Sea Flowers