AVA Technologies Inc. in Vancouver, BC is seeking a Plant Data Collection Assistant!
ABOUT AVA Technologies Inc.
Who Are We?
AVA Technologies Inc. is a consumer brand passionate about helping reconnect the world back to their food. We invented AVA Byte, the world’s smartest indoor garden, designed for connected consumers who want to unlock their green thumbs. We are a young company looking to grow our AVA Family – are you ready to grow?
Our Why: At AVA, we believe the world needs to grow more plants to appreciate nature and decrease their footprints.
Our Mission: Empower anyone, anywhere to grow anything.
Our Vision: An AVA-powered garden in every home.
Our Track Record: AVA has won over 15 different awards, raised $2.3M USD in Seed Funding, $1.5M in non-dilutive capital, and started shipping their products to hundreds of customers. We have experienced 3,000%+ increase in organic growth from COVID-19, and this market is poised for record-breaking growth.
Our Core Values:
- Get Growing
Pursue growth and learning. Read books, listen to podcasts, watch TED Talks, try new things, and wear different hats. Taking action is better than waiting too long and losing your chance. It’s OK to make mistakes, as long as we learn from them. Invest in yourself, stay hungry.
- Relentlessly Innovate and Create
We don’t compete on price. We’re innovators. We create value and delight customers. We’re the first ever IoT indoor smart garden. Technology is at the forefront of everything we do. Go the extra mile. Exceed expectations. WOW our customers at every touchpoint.
- Own Your Ikigai
Ikigai is the intersection of what you love, what you’re good at, what the world needs, and what we can be paid for. We aren’t Big Brother. We embrace diversity and inclusion. Creativity is welcome. Show your personality. Do what you stand for. Trust your gut and intuition.
- We not Me
We are the AVA Family; everything we do should be for the greater good of the company even though the task at hand might not always be the most fun or exciting. Be humble, enthusiastic, persistent, and patient. Care for each other. Support each other. Use your team.
We’re looking for a detail-oriented, inquisitive, organized, fast-learner, who can collect accurate repetitive plant data to join the AVA Family.
The Plant Data Collection Assistant is a junior position and will be working with our Plant Growth and Innovation Lead and Plant Science Data Analyst in our Plant Science department.
You must have exceptional verbal and written communication, have a talent for initiating tasks with minimum supervision, bounce back from setbacks with positivity, and have at least one year of horticulture or growing experience! You are sociable, a self-starter, observant to the smallest detail, reliable, likes repetitive tasks and can maintain a clean and organized workplace with ease.
Your role’s mission is to help maintain plant health of our grow rooms by ensuring our plants have sufficient water and to collect plant data used to make business decisions for plant optimization and innovation.
- Ability to measure and record data with great detail
- Ability to complete data collection in a timely manner without compromising accuracy
- Ability to improve the efficiency of data collection – always striving to improve processes
- Strong communication, writing, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate responsibility and ownership, seeing things through and manage tasks and projects to completion
- Takes initiative and can exercise independent judgement given appropriate overall direction and objectives
- 1+ years of horticulture or growing experience
- Interest in plants and AgTech
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
Nice to haves:
- Google Suite and Slack
- Experience with calipers and pH/TDS meters
- Basic understanding of plants
- Basic understanding of hydroponics
Not a must but will set you apart:
- IoT understanding
- Experience with calibrating a pH meter
- Help manage our grow rooms for running experiments by maintaining the health of a variety of plants, such as herbs, salad greens, tomatoes, peppers, beans, flowers, microgreens, etc.
- Measure plant variables, such as pH, TDS, plant height, node count, leaf count, flower count, leaf area index, yield, etc.
- Input data collected into a google sheet using csv format
- Accurately measure (ml) water to each experiment when water levels are low
- Record plant issues and take initiative to solve issues (e.g. raise LEDs to prevent tip burn)
- Report to your supervisor any plant diseases or pests immediately
- Fix or report to your supervisor damaged tools that need replacement
- Initiate processes to improve efficiency of data collection
Term: September 6th, 2021 (flexible)
6 months (with potential to turn into a permanent position)
Hours per week: 10 hours (with potential to increase)
Wage: $15.20-16.00/hour (dependent on experience)
- Must speak English fluently
- Must reside near Vancouver, BC, Canada and be able to join us in our office
- Employee eligibility under AAFC grant:
Even if you are not a perfect match but are willing to learn and grow, we encourage you to apply! AVA Technologies Inc. is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Plant Data Collection Assistant” Application – [Your Full Name] – [Application Date in format MM.DD.YY]”.
- Attach a short cover letter, resume and your 16 personalities result in the application (link to the test here: https://www.16personalities.com/).
- If any of the above are missing, your application will not be considered.
Deadline to apply: August 20th, 2021
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT AVA Technologies Inc.