AVA Technologies Inc. in Vancouver, BC is seeking a Grower!
ABOUT AVA Technologies Inc.
We are an indoor vertical operation in Vancouver, BC. We produce mixed vegetables and microgreens with mushrooms and fruit in the future pipeline!
Who Are We?
AVA Technologies Inc. is a consumer brand passionate about helping reconnect the world back to their food. We invented AVA Byte, the world’s smartest indoor garden, designed for connected consumers who want to unlock their green thumbs. We are a young company looking to grow our AVA Family – are you ready to grow?
Our Why: At AVA, we believe the world needs to grow more plants to appreciate nature and decrease their footprints.
Our Mission: Empower anyone, anywhere to grow anything.
Our Vision: An AVA-powered garden in every home.
Our Track Record: AVA has won over 15 different awards, raised $2.3M USD in Seed Funding, $1.5M in non-dilutive capital, and started shipping their products to hundreds of customers. We have experienced 3,000%+ increase in organic growth from COVID-19, and this market is poised for record-breaking growth.
Our Core Values:
1. Get Growing
○ Pursue growth and learning. Read books, listen to podcasts, watch TED Talks, try new things, and wear different hats. Taking action is better than waiting too long and losing your chance. It’s OK to make mistakes, as long as we learn from them. Invest in yourself, stay hungry.
2. Relentlessly Innovate and Create
○ We don’t compete on price. We’re innovators. We create value and delight customers. We’re the first ever IoT indoor smart garden. Technology is at the forefront of everything we do. Go the extra mile. Exceed expectations. WOW our customers at every touchpoint.
3. Own Your Ikigai
○ Ikigai is the intersection of what you love, what you’re good at, what the world needs, and what we can be paid for. We aren’t Big Brother. We embrace diversity and inclusion. Creativity is welcome. Show your personality. Do what you stand for. Trust your gut and intuition.
4. We not Me
○ We are the AVA Family; everything we do should be for the greater good of the company even
though the task at hand might not always be the most fun or exciting. Be humble, enthusiastic,
persistent, and patient. Care for each other. Support each other. Use your team.
We are not certified organic, but use organic and non-GMO seeds from local, reputable seed suppliers, no pesticides, organic nutrients, and a compostable medium of coconut coir (we are beginning the R&D phase of changing to a more environmental conscious option).
We’re looking for a patient, hands-on, growth-minded, nurturing, plant-loving person to join the AVA Family. This role will be integral to helping AVA launch new innovations and optimize plant performance for already launched pod packs. You should love to grow plants, have experience with different types of crops (e.g. leafy greens, herbs, fruiting vegetables, flowers, microgreens, etc.), be interested in indoor growing and AgTech and is comfortable in the startup environment. This position is within the Plant Science department, working with our Plant Growth and Innovation Lead and Plant Science Data Analyst. This is a very hands-on position working with our plants; under the supervision of your supervisor, the Grower will be responsible for the grow room’s maintenance.
You must have exceptional verbal and written communication, a talent for initiating tasks with minimal supervision, bounce back from setbacks with positivity, and have 2 years of horticulture/growing experience! You are sociable, a self-starter, observant to small details, reliable, and can maintain a clean and organized grow room with ease. We are also looking for someone eager to write creative content to help our customers with plant care.
Even if you’re not a perfect fit, but are willing to learn and grow, we encourage you to apply!
- Monitoring the health of plants in the grow room by observing small details related to chlorosis, tip burn, pest damage, nutrient deficiency, nutrient toxicity, etc.
- Calculating nutrient solution concentrations
- Accurately measuring nutrients using a pipette, dropper, syringe and/or scale
- Applying nutrients to plant experiments on a weekly basis
- Researching plants macro and micro nutrient requirements
- Pruning weekly to ensure bushier plant growth and accurately recording in Google Sheets
- Harvesting techniques when ending experiments and accurately recording in Google Sheets
- Seeding new pods and ensuring proper sowing and documentation of germination needs (e.g. seed depth, light exposure, etc.)
- Suggest solutions on how to eliminate plant issues and improve plant growth
- Assist the Plant Growth and Innovation Lead in creating new growing recipes (e.g. LEDs, watering, nutrients)
- Ensure our seeds are organized, in stock and notifying your supervisor several weeks in advance when an order needs to be placed
- Grow room pest management
- Researching environmentally conscious / organic techniques to prevent pest infestations and/or eradicate pest infestations
- Manage grant funding specific to plant science expansion and plant innovation
Term: Permanent PT or FT position
Start-date: Flexible (ideally before Jan. 10th, 2022)
Hours per week: 24-40
Benefits: Provided after probation period
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Deadline to apply: December 15th at midnight
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT AVA Technologies Inc.