Joyfully Organic Farm in Toronto, Ontario is seeking Fall Staff!
ABOUT Joyfully Organic Farm
Joyfully Organic Farm is a skilled, successful and dynamic Certified Local Organic vegetable farm in the Greater Toronto Area. We have a deep love of amazing food + strong farming practices. We have an awesome community of customers who share our love of eating well! We provide food for prominent Farmers Markets in Toronto, a large CSA, and wholesale relationships to local food purveyors.
Joyfully Organic Farm focuses on lean operational efficiencies, bio-intensive planting, multi-successions, high yields per acreage, and laughing a lot. Our farm engages in a high-output model of vegetable production. The farm maximizes the efficiencies of two unique and distinct farm production systems. Some crops are grown on a 30 inch bed system with the use of walking tractors and managed with hand tools. This method was developed by Elliot Coleman and popularized by Jean-Martin Fortier. While other crops are grown in a tractor based system designed by our farm, that retains the strengths and efficiencies of the smaller tool production system, but leverages the efficiency of farming with tractors.
Joyfully Organic Farm is certified organic by Pro-Cert Canada.
- Positive attitude that contributes to an efficient and enjoyable work environment
- Keen to contribute ideas and demonstrate problem solving abilities
- Experience with physical labor or intense outdoor activity
- Physically fit and capable of repetitive physical tasks and + repetitively lifting 50 lbs
- At least one season of farming / horticulture / outdoor work experience
- Knowledge of organic farming practices is an asset
- Self-motivated and hardworking
- Forward thinking
- Ability to work at a fast pace in groups or alone
- Ability to work in all types of weather (hot, rainy, and cold)
- Good sense of humour and desire to work in a team setting
- A Farm Staff position at Joyfully Organic Farm is ideal for someone who has some related experience, and is looking to engage in a more production-focused type of growing. We seek motivated individuals who are focused and thrive in a production farm environment.
As a core member of our farm team, you will contribute to all aspects of our farm production. Training to our particular farming systems will be provided. Main areas of work will include:
- Planting Crops
- Greenhouse work
- Harvesting Vegetables
- Weed and Pest Management
- Washing / Packing Vegetables
- Preparing for and Selling at Farmer’s Markets
- CSA Distribution
- Winter Farming Season Extension
- Building Projects
- Fertility and Land Management
- Machine and Tool Maintenance
DATES: September to December 2022
DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY: Staff that remain with the farm past the first season will have opportunity to have increased roles in management and planning with pay raises based on demonstrated ability. Past staff members have become farm managers, assistant farm managers, market managers and crew managers. Staff that have moved up into these roles have afterwards go on to to become high level managers of other farms or begin their own farm business.
FULL TIME: 5-6 days per week (including one day at our farmers markets)
PART TIME: 2-3 days per week
WAGE: $2400-$3000/month. Wages will be determined in accordance with skills and experience, with the possibility of a seasonal bonus.
Send your Resume + fill out our Farm Staff Applicant Form on our website: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply:
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT Joyfully Organic Farm