Seed of Life Farm in Surrey, BC is seeking farm hands – full and part-time work is available!
ABOUT Seed of Life Farm
Seed of Life Farm is a small scale farm located in North Surrey on a piece of heritage land. The land is easily accessible by transit from Vancouver, only 15 minutes bus ride to King George and Surrey Central Station.
We are a family of 3 (Jason, Krystyna and Maya), growing mixed vegetables, herbs, cut flowers and edible flowers on about 1.5 acres. We grow outdoors and in hoophouses. We are mainly no-till farm, using a BCS only if necessary, but for the rest of the season we use a broadfork, a tilther, hoes and hand tools for cultivation. Pest management is done following organic practices.
We are entering our 7th year of farming, third at this location, more ready than ever to have a bountiful season! We sell our produce and flowers at 2 Farmer’s Markets in Vancouver (Riley Park on Saturdays and Mount Pleasant on Sundays) through a collective stall. We also run a CSA program (approximately 30-50 shares), from June to October and sell to restaurants as well as organizations that focus on feeding those in need.
Our methods of growing are sustainable and ecological, including reduced tillage and a focus on soil health. We followed an apprenticeship with an organic farm 8 years ago, so that is the only way we know to grow! (we are now Certified Naturally Grown)
We are looking for people:
- Who have an interest in growing organic food; previous farm work is an asset but not necessary.
- Are able to work outside in any type of weather
Able to learn a variety of tasks, keep up with a fast pace and have an efficient mindset
- Clear communication and respect for everyone is of out most importance
- Have great teamwork skills, but also can work alone
- Able to lift minimum 30lbs, do repetitive tasks, work bending down /crouching /kneeling
- Able to use various hand tools(knives, hoes, rakes, weedwacker, tilther, broadfork)
- Soil/bed preparation / amendment and compost application
- Seeding /transplanting
- Pruning / trellising
- Weeding by hand and with tools
- Harvesting, cleaning, sorting and packing
- Assembling orders and CSA boxes
- Landscape maintenance
- Irrigation maintenance
- Record keeping
Term: Short term and long term contracts available, full time May to September.
Priority will be given to people eligible for the Canada Summer Jobs program, but all applications will be considered.
Hours per week:
Part time: 2-3 days a week, 7 hours day
Full time: 4-5 days a week, minimum 35 hours per week. Ideal candidate will be willing to work 1 day per weekend.
Wage: $16.75 to $18/hour depending on experience
Please send resume (cover letter is optional) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: June 15th 2024
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org