Zaklan Heritage Farm in Surrey, BC is seeking a farm crew member for the 2021 season!
ABOUT ZAKLAN HERITAGE FARM
Zaklan Heritage farm is a small (2 acre) mixed vegetable farm situated in the heart of Canada’s fastest growing city- Surrey, BC. The farm is run by Gemma and Doug, we started the operation in 2013. We produce a wide range of vegetables using sustainable practices and ecologically friendly growing methods. We rely on small machinery and hand tools to do the majority of our work. We sell primarily to high end restaurants in Vancouver and a bit of wholesale. We are looking for someone with an interest in learning about small scale agriculture, a good work ethic and enjoys getting dirty and working hard. We have been farming for over 10 seasons and are happy to share the knowledge we have gained during this time with our employees. More information about our farm can be found at: www.zaklanheritagefarm.com
We are looking for 1 dedicated person to join our team to help both with our field production and restaurant deliveries. We are a high production farm and during peak season harvest crops every day. The successful candidate will be highly involved in daily and weekly harvests. They will also have roles in maintaining field crops, weeding, post harvest processing, packing orders and seasonal field tasks.
We are looking to fill 1 position:
- Full season – 1 position starting early May and going till October (possibly later)
Full-time positions work roughly 8 hours a day, 5 days a week (35-40 hours a week sometimes more during peak season). We work Monday to Friday.
We are interested in hiring students and working with their school needs to determine a schedule. Please note there is NO on-farm housing available in 2021.
We are looking for an employee who has a good work ethic, isn’t afraid of hard physical work, and is willing to work in all weather. We are looking for someone who can work in a team as well as independently and can be self motivated when it comes to completing tasks. There is opportunity for leadership roles with respect to tasks on the farm and working with other staff. Candidates need to be flexible and willing to adapt to changing schedules and plans as things shift though the season. Our ideal candidate would be interested in working more than one season.
The successful candidate should have the following
- Commitment to farming in a sustainable manner using ecologically sound growing practices
- Physically capable of carrying out tasks which require the ability to bend for long periods of time, lift up to 20Kg
- Ability to work fast and smart and take and give direction with a positive and constructive attitude.
- Strong prioritizing and time management skills
- Attention to detail and quality
- Ability to follow and carry out detailed instructions
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Ability to work both in a team and individually
Weekly hours: Full-time
Compensation: $15.20/hour. Additional wage compensation is possible based on experience. Employees have access to fresh produce from the farm on a weekly basis.
Please attach a resume and cover letter outlining your interest and experience in farming to Gemma McNeill at email@example.com. Put “Job application” in the subject line.
Please answer the following in your cover letter:
- Age- we have access to some wage subsidies through a federal program. This program is dependent on participant’s age.
- Please state if you have a valid BC driver’s license and would be willing to do delivery driving as part of your role
- Residency status in Canada
- If you are student, please state if you will be returning to full-time studies in the fall, or any other commitments you might have.
Deadline: April 23rd, 2021
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting on YoungAgrarians.org
Learn more about Zaklan Heritage Farm