A Rocha Farm in Surrey, BC is hiring a Market Manager for the 2020 season!
About A Rocha Farm
A Rocha Farm at Brooksdale is a 3.5 acre mix vegetable production farm that follows organic principles. While transitioning to no till agriculture we do at times use a Kubota tractor with a tiller and disk, 2 Planet Juniors with associated implements, and 2 BCS Tractors with associated implements. Our sales channels include a 200+ CSA, farm gate market, and restaurants.
A Rocha Brooksdale is a non profit environmental organization located on a 27 acre property with farmlands, wetlands, and a river running through it. A Rocha has programs in sustainable agriculture, environmental education, and conservation programs. We also have an internship program with interns specializing in one of our three program areas.
While not certified organic, A Rocha follows organic growing practices.
- At least one year of small store/business management experience, including all aspects of inventory management and sales.
- At least two years/sale seasons and/or customer service experience, preferably within the food and/or agricultural sector and/or small gift shop industry.
- Social media and/or advertising experience and/or WordPress experience, including digital design and delivery.
- Experience developing market plans and sales goals.
- Experience in diversified vegetable production (preferably organic) an asset.
- Extensive knowledge of food literacy an asset.
- Experience as a barista an asset.
- Small business literacy, and understanding of the dynamics of social enterprise an asset.
- Experience working within the not-for-profit sector an asset.
- Food Safe Level 1 certification, or a willingness to do so.
- First Aid and CPR certifications an asset.
- Demonstrated embodiment of A Rocha Canada’s Vision, Commitments and Core Values.
- Demonstrated leadership experience; able to comfortably make decisions and execute tasks in a diverse and dynamic working environment.
- High level point of sales and money handling skills, preferable with Square point of sale.
- High level inventory management skills.
- High level communication (verbal/written), facilitation, and interpersonal skills; able to work both independently and within a high-energy team environment; able to resolve interpersonal conflicts professionally; excellent collaboration and group leadership skills.
- Intermediate level small business marketing language concerning terms such as local, organic, and fair trade.
- High level food literacy knowledge, including general horticultural production, local and organic food concepts and vocabulary, and food preparation.
- High level Microsoft Office and/or Google suit experience, as well as Facebook, Instagram, and Mailchimp experience and/or other social media platforms.
- Strong organizational skills; able to identify and prioritize tasks with minimal supervision, work independently, and take initiative.
- Must be physically fit, able to lift 50lbs.
- Ability to work quickly, efficiently and calmly in high-stress settings for long hours in any weather and bring tasks to completion on time.
- Knowledge and articulation of A Rocha Canada’s Vision, Commitments and Core Values.
This position will be partially funded by Eco Canada Youth Employment Placement Program, and is contingent on approval.
While all qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will be considered, applicants 30 years of age or younger will be prioritized pending Eco Canada Youth Employment Placement Program grant funding.
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment;
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations; and,
- obtain a Criminal Record Background and Vulnerable Sector check.
- Responsible for all aspects of market management and sales, including market set-up and break-down, cashiering and cashing out, market aesthetics, and product inventory and ordering.
- Maintain and develop new sales infrastructure, including market signage, tables and stands, and point of sales program operation.
- Ensure proper record keeping for sales data.
- Develop and promote market sales through advertising channels, WordPress, and social media outlets.
- Develop and deliver market marketing plan.
- Responsible for weekly market e-newsletter, including produce list, featured vendor, and recipe.
- Maintain clear communication channels between A Rocha and market clientele.
- Communicating with vendors/suppliers, including developing new vendor relationships.
- Train and supervise Program Interns and Volunteers.
- Work in collaboration with Brooksdale staff for other onsite activities as needed.
Term: March 17, 2020 to December 19, 2020 with the possibility of extending part/full time through the winter months.
Hours: Full time (5 days/wk; 35 hrs/wk; Tuesday to Saturday).
Wage: $17.00 per hour
How to Apply
- Email, as a single PDF document, a cover letter and resume clearly detailing your experience and qualifications for this position to Ryan Weemhoff (email@example.com)
- Ensure your email subject line clearly refers to the A Rocha Market Manager position.
- Ensure that your name and the position title are included in the PDF file name.
Deadline to apply: Feb 29, 2020
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at Youngagrarians.org.
Learn More About A Rocha Farm
Visit the A Rocha Farm Website.
Like A Rocha Farm on Facebook.
Follow @arochacanada on Instagram.
Follow @arochacanada on Twitter.