A Rocha Farm in Surrey, BC is seeking a Farm to Families Program Assistant!
ABOUT A Rocha Farm
A Rocha Farm at Brooksdale is a 2.5-acre mix vegetable and flower production farm that follows sustainable agricultural principles of caring for soil and surrounding ecology. We are transitioning to no-till agriculture and currently, half of our farm is in a no-till system and half is in a low-tillage system. Our sales channels include a 170+ vegetable CSA, a small flower CSA, a farm gate market, farmers markets, and restaurants. We are also a non-profit so a portion of our vegetables and CSA shares are also donated to local partner agencies.
A Rocha Brooksdale is a non-profit environmental organization located on a 27-acre property with farmlands, wetlands, and a river running through it. A Rocha has programs in sustainable agriculture, environmental education, and conservation programs. We also have a Conservation Residency program with residents specializing in one of our three program areas. We grow 2.5 acres of vegetables and flowers for our on-farm store, CSA, farmers market, restaurants, and donations to our local food bank and community partners. We are committed to caring for creation – people, land, and creatures. And with that commitment, we highly value practices that promote healthy soil and provide a workspace that supports the health of its employees and our community.
- At least one year of experience in education programming (preferably with seniors, children, vulnerable populations, and/or speakers of other languages) is an asset.
- Experience with online video conferencing is an asset.
- Experience in diversified vegetable production (preferably organic) is an asset.
- First Aid and CPR certifications is an asset.
- Demonstrated embodiment of A Rocha Canada’s Vision, Commitments and Core Values is an asset.
- Demonstrated leadership experience; able to comfortably make decisions and execute tasks in a diverse and dynamic working environment.
- Introductory food literacy knowledge, including general gardening knowledge, local and organic food concepts and vocabulary, and/or food preparation.
- Intermediate Microsoft Office and/or Google suite and Canva experience.
- Demonstrated communication (verbal/written), facilitation, and interpersonal skills; able to work both independently and within a high-energy team environment; able to resolve interpersonal conflicts professionally; excellent collaboration and group leadership skills.
- Strong organizational skills; able to identify and prioritize tasks with minimal supervision, work independently, and take initiative.
- Must be physically fit, able to lift 50lbs.
- Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently in any weather.
- Familiarity with A Rocha Canada’s Vision, Commitments and Core Values.
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident for the duration of the employment;
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations; and,
- Obtain a Criminal Record Background and Vulnerable Sector check.
The Farm to Families Assistant will work in collaboration with the Farm to Families Coordinator, the Environmental Education Team, Brooksdale Sustainable Agriculture Team, and other Brooksdale staff in assisting with environmental educational programming for children, families, and seniors. The Farm to Families program provides in-person and online training in gardening and food preparation, environmental awareness, and personal practices to care for the environment; it also facilitates vegetable donations to underserved populations in Surrey and White Rock through partnerships with local organizations (primarily those working with newcomers and adults/children identified as at-risk). Farm to Families seeks to build relationships and cross-cultural connections as well as communities of support.
The Farm to Families Assistant may also be working closely with the Environmental Education team in planning and delivering summer day-camps for children ages 6-12.
FARM TO FAMILIES PROGRAMMING:
- Leading/supporting online and in-person programming in collaboration with other Environmental Education Staff and Interns including:
-Researching, formatting, and printing recipes, gardening information, and handouts
-Supporting team with set-up and clean-up for in-person programming.
-Debriefing sessions and recording stories for grant reporting and fundraising.
-Leading/co-leading in-person summer day-camps and in-person, phone-in and live-video programming (E.g. Zoom or Microsoft TEAMS) for Farm to Families.
- Program tracking and Evaluation
-Filing of registration and consent forms
-Enter participant information in online spreadsheets
-Create tracking tools and survey templates as necessary
FARM TO FAMILIES VEGGIE DONATIONS
- Coordinate harvest, packing, storage, and delivery of vegetable donations with program partners:
-Maintain clear communication channels between the farmers, Farm to Families Coordinator and Program Partners.
-Assist in training and supervision of Program Interns and Volunteers
-Research, create, and print resources specific to vegetable donations
-Deliver vegetable donations as needed
KIDS’ GARDEN MAINTENANCE
- Coordinate watering and weeding of Kids’ Garden with other Environmental Education team members
- Collaborate with Environmental Education Team to plan, plant and harvest produce from Kids’ Garden
- Update and share Kids’ Garden map with EE team
- Lead group work projects in the Kids’ Garden on Volunteer Days and corporate work days
- Work in collaboration with Brooksdale staff for other onsite activities as needed.
- Awareness and adherence to A Rocha Brooksdale Health and Safety protocols.
Term: Between May 1 to August 21, 2023 (8 to 16 weeks, subject to Canada Summer Jobs funding).
Hours per week: Full-time (5 days/week, 35 hours/week, Monday to Friday, with occasional Saturdays).
Wage: $17 per/hr
Please send resume and cover letter, including contact information for 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply: Open until position is filled
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org
LEARN MORE ABOUT A Rocha Farm