A Rocha Canada in Surrey, BC is seeking a Brooksdale Farm Store Sales Assistant!
ABOUT A Rocha Canada
A Rocha Farm at Brooksdale is a 2.5-acre mix vegetable production farm that follows organic principles. While transitioning to no-till agriculture we do at times use a Kubota tractor with a tiller and disk, 2 Planet Juniors with associated implements, and 2 BCS Tractors with associated implements. Our sales channels include a 140+ CSA, farm gate market, and restaurants.
A Rocha Brooksdale is a non-profit environmental organization located on a 27-acre property with farmlands, wetlands, and a river running through it. A Rocha has programs in sustainable agriculture, environmental education, and conservation programs. We also have an internship program with interns specializing in one of our three program areas. While not certified organic, A Rocha follows organic growing practices.
- At least one year/season sales and/or customer service experience, preferably within the food and/or agricultural sector an asset.
- At least one year/season in diversified vegetable production (preferably organic) an asset.
- Experience working within the not-for-profit sector an asset.
- Food Safe Level 1 certification, or a willingness to do so.
- First Aid and CPR certifications an asset.
- Social media and/or advertising experience and/or WordPress experience an asset.
- Demonstrated embodiment of A Rocha Canada’s Vision, Commitments and Core Values an asset.
- Demonstrated leadership experience; able to comfortably make decisions and execute tasks in a diverse and dynamic working environment.
- Intermediate level point of sales and money handling skills.
- Introductory food literacy knowledge, including general horticultural production, local and organic food concepts and vocabulary, and/or food preparation.
- Intermediate Microsoft Office and/or Google suite experience.
- Demonstrated communication (verbal/written), facilitation, and interpersonal skills; able to work both independently and within a high-energy team environment; able to resolve interpersonal conflicts professionally; excellent collaboration and group leadership skills.
- Strong organizational skills; able to identify and prioritize tasks with minimal supervision, work independently, and take initiative.
- Must be physically fit, able to lift 50lbs.
- Demonstrated ability to work quickly, efficiently and calmly in fast-paced settings in any weather and bring tasks to completion on time.
- Familiarity with A Rocha Canada’s Vision, Commitments and Core Values.
Additional Eligibility Requirements:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment;
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations; and,
- obtain a Criminal Record Background and Vulnerable Sector check.
- Assist in all aspects of market sales, including market set-up and break-down, cashiering and cashing out, and market aesthetics.
- Assist in harvesting and post harvest processing and packing of produce.
- Assist with maintenance and development of new sales infrastructure, including market signage, tables and stands, and point of sales program operation.
- Ensure proper record keeping for sales data. Help develop and promote market sales through advertising channels, WordPress, and social media outlets.
- Maintain clear communication channels between the farm and clientele.
- Communicate with vendors/suppliers as needed.
- Assist in training and supervision of Program Interns and Volunteers.
- Work in collaboration with Brooksdale staff for other onsite activities as needed.
- Awareness and adherence to A Rocha Brooksdale’s Covid-19 Protocols.
Term: September 1, 2021 to October 31, 2021.
Hours per week: Full time (5 days/week, 35-40 hours/week, Tuesday to Saturday).
Wage: $16.20 per hour.
- Email, as a single PDF document, a cover letter and resume clearly detailing your experience and qualifications for this position to Shauna Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ensure your email subject clearly refers to the Brooksdale Farm Store Sales Assistant position.
- Ensure your name and the position title are included in the PDF file name.
- Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. Please no phone calls or emails.
When applying, please mention you saw this posting at youngagrarians.org