About Square Root Farm
We started farming in 2005. We are certified-organic and much of our growing techniques were developed to fit our small farm footprint. The farm is north of Victoria in Central Saanich on about two acres of rented land in the beautiful Mount Newton Valley. Three other farms operate on the same main property so it’s often busy with people and activity. Most of our work is done by hand with care and precision, but tractors and other equipment do some of the heavy lifting. We grow all kinds of vegetables just about year-round but focus on the main season. Our farm is small, but we concentrate on efficient production of a steady supply of veggies so our days are often busy and fast-moving to keep up with our schedule. We sell at a weekend farmers’ market, to a local farmers’ marketing cooperative, and to several local restaurants.
We’re looking for an applicant who has at least one season of related experience and has an easy time working as part of a team: we work closely together and we’re all trying to get the job done well! We want to work with someone who:
- can work hard in any weather
- is self-directed
- can commit to helping for the full season
- has an energetic, fun, motivated personality
- has an excellent work ethic and a positive attitude
- who wants to learn new methods and farm systems
As part of the team your duties will include but are not limited to:
- picking and bunching crops to order
- washing and packaging vegetables for market and restaurants
- seeding and planting crops out into the soil
- weeding by hand and with hoes
- seeding vegetables in the greenhouse
Start: early May through September
Hours: 24-36 hours/week (8hr days).
Wage: starting at $14 (d.o.e.) plus access to vegetables
Please send us a resume outlining your experience along with a note telling us why you want to work on the farm.
Learn More About Square Root Farm
View other farm jobs and apprenticeships here.