Sole Food Street Farms in Vancouver, BC is hiring an Assistant Farm Manager!
About Sole Food Street Farms
Sole Food Street Farms is an urban farm located in the City of Vancouver. We grow out of boxes placed on vacant urban land, totalling approximately 3 acres of growing space and are production driven. We grow a variety of fruits, vegetables and herbs, including mediterranean fruits from our orchard. We use sustainable farming practices and farm almost entirely using hand tools. Peak season, we sell at three farmers markets, approximately 60 restaurants and a 50 member CSA.
Sole Food Street Farms is an internationally recognized social enterprise that transforms vacant urban land into street farms. Our mission is to empower individuals with limited resources by providing jobs, agricultural training and inclusion in a supportive community of farmers and food lovers. Sole Food currently provides meaningful, low-barrier employment to 25 individuals. The farms are supplying fresh food to inner city residents and modelling a successful and credible model of high quality intensive urban agriculture.
- Minimum of 2+ years of agricultural production experience, with at least one year in a leadership role
- Demonstrated understanding of sustainable and organic production
- Strong organizational skills including: record-keeping, multi-tasking, prioritizing, planning, and effective time management
- Motivated, flexible and able to work independently
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations
- Valid driver’s license and able to drive larger vehicles
- Access to computer and phone
- Be in excellent physical condition and able to lift 50 lbs
- Candidates must be able to work independently as well as with a group, and possess creativity, flexibility and the ability to problem-solve and take initiative
- With the Director of Farm Operations, maintain steady harvest flow for three farmers’ markets, CSA and twice-weekly Fresh Sheet for restaurant orders
- Ensure consistent and timely harvests for quality produce
- Maintain a daily cooler inventory that would be communicated to Director of Farm Operations and sales manager
- Post-harvest processing and coordination of all produce. Processing occurs at a central wash station and involves washing, bunching, quality control, grading, weighing, and packing produce for orders and farmers markets
- Maintain quality standards for produce set by management staff, and communicate quality issues to farm management
- Maintain cleanliness and order in processing and office areas includes washing harvest and processing totes at the ends of most days
- Supervision of support staff
- Accurate record keeping of appropriate information for Harvest Log
- Completion of ‘take sheet’ prior to each market
- Determination of products and quantities for each market and restaurant order day with Director of Farm Operations
- Participate in on-farm activities as requested by the Director of Farm Operations which could include irrigating, propagation house maintenance, bed prep, planting, etc.
Marketing & Social Media:
- Help recruit and retain on-farm CSA members
- Support the Director of Farm Operation with sales and marketing for Farmers Markets and CSA
- Posting and monitoring to Sole Food Instagram account
- Contribute to event coordination and production as needed
- Participate in farmers’ markets and consistently meet sales goals
Term: April 30th, 2019 until mid-December, 2019 depending on weather. The right candidate will be eager to renew a 10 month contract in March, 2020 (March – December, 2020).
Hours: We are a production farm and work hours will fluctuate with the season; applicants should expect longer days during peak season (June-Sept), averaging 40 hours/week over the entire season.
Wage: This is a salaried position. Salary Range $20-$22/hour depending on experience and based on the full time average of 40 hours/week. This position is classified as Farm Worker under BC Employment standards.
How to Apply
Please apply with a resume and cover letter, compiled in one application document, to email@example.com.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at Youngagrarians.org.
Learn More About Sole Food Street Farms
Follow @solefoodfarms on Instagram